orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Hi

I recently had a power surge and my PSU died, it was an ANTEC 500 watt

I would like to replace it but I'm not up to date anymore with the new stuff out.
I'm running a Prescott 3.4 GHz at 4.2 GHz with 4 HD drives a DVD drive and an ATI X1800XT
I want another good quality PSU like my last ANTEC.

Any suggestion?

( I'll have a surge protector next time )

Thx!

Well, I've never read a bad competent technical review of an Antec PSU. Other good brands include OCZ, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, and Seasonic.
500W is enough, but by all means consider what you might need if you plan to move your PSU into a new build some day. Your other parts are old enough that you may want to do that sooner rather than later.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Instead of a mere surge protector, why not get a good UPS? These provide surge protection AND supply power to the PC during AC line outages, allowing a graceful (and automated) shutdown of the system. This can save you from major headaches.

Regarding PSUs, I'd go with a unit having a single +12V rail - it's easier to use and you don't have to worry about balancing the loads on multiple +12V rails. I have a PC P&C Silencer 750 Quad that has 60A on a single +12V rail, and couldn't be happier with it. The PSU is certainly no place to "cheap out".

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Thx for the fast reply

I was really satisfied with my Antec PSU. It's just a bad luck...

Nice idea for the UPS I'll check for one.

I'm from Canada... Is newegg now shipping to Canada?

OCZ Corsair Antec... Good brands but are all PSU models good?

My case and powersupply were a bundle, look for the case TX1050... HUGE Case, plenty of space for HD drives and watercooling hehe

Thx

orionman

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I finally got an Antec Neo 500.

When I plugged it, nothing happenned. I discovered that I also had a dead HD. (Had to unplug some stuff during diagnostic because I had a 300 Watt PSU for the testing purpose. )

So without that drive everything is now up and running.

To know if my PSU was really dead I tried it on another computer (the one with the 300 watt CPU) when plugged, a very high pitch sounds come from the PSU but the light on the motherboard was ON. So there is power going to the motherboard. I did not boot the computer, I did not want to take any risk. The sound does not seem to be normal at all, also after the power surge there was an burned electronic smell for a few days in my house. Could it be the harddrive? I dont think so.

I've contacted Antec to get a new one (yes I should have done it before but with the holidays... but I think the warranty is over (more than 3 years) and they say they don't cover power surge. :??:

(sorry for bad english)