Is this a PSU problem

macbak

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
Yesterday started to hear a clicking sound coming from the PSU...like something was touching the fan.
Disconnected everything, opened the case and loosened the screws so I could get under the PSU (fan on bottom) used a can of air to clean out computer case and fan. But now when I turn computer on light and fans start for about 3-4 seconds then everything shuts down. Computer will repeat this process until I disconnected the power.

Does it sound like the PSU is shot? Any thought would be helpful.

PSU cooler master 550
MB MSI P35 Neo2
Win XP pro

Thanks
Macbak

The only moving part on a PSU is the fan. The hard drive however has moving parts and is capable of making a clicking sound. I would check all the connections to the MB, especially the SATA connectors. Be sure you didn't know a cable or video card or some or RAM loose. Check it. You could try unplugging the HD and see if the system boots into BIOS. Maybe the HD is clicking, a sign it is going to give out?

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
check all the connections, making sure you didn't loosen anything when you cleaned the case. it's possible that one of your power connections slipped a little when you blasted it with the compressed air.

if it's not that, then do a test-build: unplug/remove everything except the most necessary components (MB/1 stick of RAM/VGA/PSU/CPU). make sure any cables aren't touching fans/moving equipment. if you still hear the clicking sound, try your best to precisely locate where the sound is coming from. whatever it is, RMA that sucker and get a replacement- especially if it's a PSU or HDD!