how do I extend my pc to get dual screens (and maybe turn 1 into a TV)

G

Hi, I haven't kept up to date on hardware over the last few years, so i dont have a clue how to do this.

I would like another screen output from my pc, to help me when developing websites, and if its then i wouldnt mind having the second monitor as a TV - which would involve having some sort of digital (freeview, here in the uk) ability. which would allow me to get rid of the TV.

I had a look at my NVidia software for my card and it seems I cant with the card I have, but i was wondering is there any other way to do this, either by adding another card (normal or SLI), or whatever works

I have a newish 8800gs Nvidia pci-express card, im not really looking at spending a fortune.

Any suggestions / pointers would be great. thanks

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Hauppauge, AverMedia and ATI all make TV tuner cards. I personally own two different Hauppauge cards and enjoy them.

Second monitor: the 8800GS has two outputs (I believe they are both DVI). As long as you have a compatible form of nvidia's forceware you should be able to plug-and-play a monitor into the second port (I would suggest the latest WHQL drivers: 178.25).

Edit: Link to nvidia's driver download page.

G

thanks for the reply,

actually I had already have the drives, and i couldnt see any setting for dual monitor, but once you confirmed I could I had a more careful look and found the setting, so thanks.

as far as the outputs go, my card has: 1 DVI, 1 HDMI

Im already using the DVI, so that just leaves HDMI, is it possible to get HDMI to DVI converter? or do i need to buy an HDMI monitor... I have ot buy a monitor anyway.... but from what i can see, it really cuts down on options if i have to get an HDMI one.

G

one last question,

Any idea if having 2 monitors affects the resolution at all, my card supports 2600x1600(i think) , and im using 1900x1200 on a single display.

would I be able to have 1900x1200 on an additional monitor... or is it more complicated, ie something like the 2600x16000 gets shared between both displays?

(im not doing anything to graphics intensive so rendering etc isnt an issue, just resolution)