lankiller

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Hi

Ok my problem is I bought a Q9300 as a chirstmas present for myself after it went on sale last week. I put it in my 780i mobo and works great. My problem is the temps. I run nivida monitor (yes i know its garbage) and it tells me stock im at 50c! and under load im at 55 C! with a dangerden liquid cooling setup and tripple core rad dont think soo!! Anywayz I wanted to be safe and make sure nothing wrong with the chip. So downloaded realtemp coretemp and also checked temps off my bios. The room is at 72 degress btw and case is an antec 1200 pumping out enough air to cool a house. Heres a list of my temp read outs idle and under load

Bios 38C/42C
Realtemp 45C/50C
Coretemp 50C/53C
Nvidia 52C/60C

Wtf! everyone is different by 10C! Soo whatca one is right? I think bios since I know old e6750 sat at 38C and went to about 40 C.

I regreased the chip and repostioned the heatsink twice! also using artic silver compound. I know it cant be running hotter then 45C because gpus are only at 45 C under load and the cpu is cooled first. I dont know just really frustrating and dont want to have to check bios for accurate temps lol. I also wanna OC it and am kinda nerveous with all the wacky temp readings. Plz anyone help my out let me know. The chip is crazy fast and rock stable also, no stability issues what so ever.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Core temp is the right one.
how much paster did you use? Never use more than a grain of rice or so.
What is your core voltage?

/your 45 degree assumption is wrong, though. heat is dissapated between teh die and cores of the processor. its dissapated in the cooling lines. The temps are also read differently between the proc and the gpus.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
for a starters, The TJmax is supposed to be 100c, this is why realtemp is showin 5c lower temps than core temp (this can be adjusted in the settings of each)

secondly, the temps from core and real temps if set to 100c TJmax are showing the corect temps for each of the cores, where as the Nvidia and Bios are showin the temps from the IHF, (temp at the very top of the CPU where the IHF and Cooler connect.

differences between Bios and Nvidia can be counted as the system has just started up and the Bios is showing the temp at that point (system idle and cool) where as the Nvidia is in windows, and the comp has had some time to warm up a bit and is showin the temps under those conditions (windows does use a slight CPU usage while using these utilities)

but still, 50c is still slightly high for a watercooled CPU under those conditions (even for air cooled) so i would believe, either the cpu core voltage is set too high from a previouse CPU set in the bios, or the spreader is not seated properly, and\or there could be too much\little paste on it to work properly,

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
btw

ur load temps are perfectly fine and within the specified temp area, so dont worry about it too much, as long as load temps dont go any higher in core temp

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

this advice on thermal compound is old and may be woarse then too much

yes too much reduces heat transfer slightly since the compound is a fraction of that of the metal but too little is far far woarse

air has almost no transfer until you hit infered and if you hit infered your house is on fire!

hsf such thermalright are dished, ones like xigmetch have exposed heat pipes that suck up TC

lastly, ever look at intel factory cpu? there is alot more then a grain of rice.

you should spread it all over and even - for some hsf like thermalright mound a second amoun and spread it like a penny!

alot of research on this - called trial and error error = too little big error

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
er, whenever i install a heatsink, a grain of rice will typically spread out over the heat spreader covering the whole thing. if you are new to the game, then trying different sizes of paste (apply paste, install the heatsink, then remove it) is a great idea. You can always reapply until you know hte exact amount you need to cover the CPU.

trial and error just like Spayer said.

sorry for the necro...

TRENDING THREADS