Most basic query

If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
the CPU type and clock speed?
I hope this makes sense.
TIA
Brian Tozer
6 answers Last reply
More about most basic query

    Hi

    You may be able to enter the BIOS to check on those settings. Try pressing
    the Delete button as soon as you boot the PC. Or have a look at the bottom
    of the screen for a message similar to 'Press X to enter setup'. Where X
    could one of any numbers of keys to press.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS MVP Windows Shell/User

    "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
    > bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
    > CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
    > the CPU type and clock speed?
    > I hope this makes sense.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Brian,

    When you first switch the PC on it should display the post check screen
    to display the installed memory and possibly CPU speed before trying to
    boot to an operating system.
    You can use the PAUSE/BREAK key to halt the BIOS at this screen so
    you can take some time to see what you're looking for.

    Regards
    Arron

    KiwiBrian wrote:
    > If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
    > bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
    > CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
    > the CPU type and clock speed?
    > I hope this makes sense.
    > TIA
    > Brian Tozer

    Many computers have an option to test the main RAM during startup,
    displaying the amount of RAM tested as they go. It isn't a through test,
    but is enough to tell it's there. As this test lengthens the boot time,
    the test may need to be re enabled in the CMOS settings.

    Some BIOS chips display the CPU type and speed during the Power On Self
    Test (POST).

    MS DOS and some EARLY versions of Windows included a DOS diagnostic that
    provided some information about the system. I found the 162 KB file
    named MSD.EXE in the \other\msd folder of an OEM Windows 95 CD. I don't
    know if any of the boot floppies available on line include any versions
    of this utility.

    You could also use a W98 emergency floppy to boot the
    computer and you could have one or two system scanning
    programs on floppies, such as EVEREST www.lavalys.com or
    BelArc Advisor from www.belarc.com
    You could also have these on a CD or perhaps even a flash
    drive if the mobo supports USB.

    EVEREST also reports on hard drive SMART, so it will help
    determine condition.

    some support

    | Hi
    |
    | You may be able to enter the BIOS to check on those
    settings. Try pressing
    | the Delete button as soon as you boot the PC. Or have a
    look at the bottom
    | of the screen for a message similar to 'Press X to enter
    setup'. Where X
    | could one of any numbers of keys to press.
    |
    | --
    |

    | Will Denny
    | MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    | Please reply to the News Groups
    |
    | "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    | > If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at
    an auction) but the
    | > bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I
    use for a floppy or
    | > CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM
    the system has, and
    | > the CPU type and clock speed?
    | > I hope this makes sense.
    | > TIA
    | > Brian Tozer

    Hi Jim

    Everest/Belarc can't be used as no OS is installed - both are too big for
    floppies. Surely, the BIOS would be the easiest way?

    --

    > You could also use a W98 emergency floppy to boot the
    > computer and you could have one or two system scanning
    > programs on floppies, such as EVEREST www.lavalys.com or
    > BelArc Advisor from www.belarc.com
    > You could also have these on a CD or perhaps even a flash
    > drive if the mobo supports USB.
    >
    > EVEREST also reports on hard drive SMART, so it will help
    > determine condition.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm

    > | Hi
    > |
    > | You may be able to enter the BIOS to check on those
    > settings. Try pressing
    > | the Delete button as soon as you boot the PC. Or have a
    > look at the bottom
    > | of the screen for a message similar to 'Press X to enter
    > setup'. Where X
    > | could one of any numbers of keys to press.
    > |
    > | --
    > |

    > | Will Denny
    > | MS MVP Windows Shell/User
    > | Please reply to the News Groups
    > |
    > | "KiwiBrian" <briantoz@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > | > If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at
    > an auction) but the
    > | > bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I
    > use for a floppy or
    > | > CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM
    > the system has, and
    > | > the CPU type and clock speed?
    > | > I hope this makes sense.
    > | > TIA
    > | > Brian Tozer

    I tried this with a PC and could enter the BIOS but could not find any info
    regarding size of RAM, or CPU type and speed.
    Brian.

Floppy Disk CD-Rom Windows XP