Gigabyte UD3P won't run 4 sticks RAM

BigAl40

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Does anyone know why a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P board would not run 4 sticks of G.Skill Ram? They are exact same timing but one set is a 2 gig set, 2X1G, and one set is a 4 gig set, 2X2G. Running the board at stock settings except the Dram voltage is at 2.0V.

Can run either set by themselves and they run great. Run them all 4 at once and Vista64 will not load. Not sure if it's getting all the way through the POST. Also not sure if the different capacity of the ram makes them incompatible.

Have a corsair 650W PSU, Q6600, Gskill RAM CL5-5-15 @2.0V, EP45-UD3P board.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
I checked on mone and memory remapping is not available; it looks like it's always enabled.

If you set your RAM timings to 5-5-5-15 at 2.1V it won't work? If they dosn't work at 1066Mhz, try 800Mhz.

bilbat

Splendid
Notice that your RAM slots are color coded. You need to put each of your ram pairs into similar colored slots; i.e., both 1Gs into the reds, both 2Gs into the yellow, or vise-versa; this is not guaranteed to work, or may take tweaking; to quote Gigabyte:"it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed"

I thinks it should work, though:"When memory modules of different capacity and chips are installed, a message which says memory is operating in Flex Memory Mode will appear during the POST. Intel® Flex Memory Technology offers greater flexibility to upgrade by allowing different memory sizes to be populated and remain in Dual Channel mode/performance."

BigAl40

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
ghislaing,

I have G.Skill F2-8500CL5D DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 CL5-5-15 2.0~2.1V <--These are the specs for both sets of RAM. The only difference is the capacity. What do you mean by memory remapping? Where would I find that in the BIOS? Are you referring to the manual DRAM timing?

bilbat,

I tried placing the sticks in the same colored slots by pair as you suggested. I also tried every other combination I could, to no avail. I did notice however that I never got the "Flex Memory Mode" message that is detailed in the instructions. The board starts to POST and then freezes when it says it is "testing memory". I got it past the POST only 1 time but Vista would not load. Just stopped at the initial load screen.

Both sets of RAM work fine independently, just not all at the same time. BTW: I am at BIOS rev F6.

Thank you both for your help.

BigAl40

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009

I'll give that a try and post back tomorrow night.

Thanks for the help!!

BigAl40

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Well,

I got it working! My timings are at 5-5-15. But only 1.9 volts. I will probably leave it there if it remains stable. If not I have room to bump it up. I am only OC'ing my Q6600 to about 2.6ghz. FSB is at 333 with 8x multiplier. Running smooth with 6 gigs RAM at 800 mhz.

Thanks to ghislaing and bilbat for your help.

Al.

alexboom

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
is there any option of having 4 gb instead of 3? i have 4 (2x2), correctly patched but still have 3.072mb, 3gb, of ram in bios and OS...i use vista in 64 bit, i have updated bios, but no remapping is shown in the bios menu!!! also i have 1066ddr2 and inside frequency is 667!!!!it gets not higher!!....gigabyte ep43ds3lr

thnxx a lot for any info!!!

The BIOS should detect all 4 GB. If it doesn't, then you may have an issue like a bad module or a defective slot. Use CPU-Z, SPD tab to verify that the correct type of module is detected in all 4 slots. DDR2 667 MHz frequency x 2 = 1333 MHz. That's the maximum that most DDR2 motherboards can support (in theory).

alexboom

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
thnx a lot for help....it seemed that there were 2+1 gb of ram....they lied to me or sth!!!!! i should have built it up alone as i usually do, but i let it to them cos i had no time...WARNING...check evr in case u buy an already built pc...;-)

p.s.: about frequency....2gb runs auto in 800mhz, while 1gb in 667, of course i tried this separately first. Then i tried together and as i expected frequency has been down to 667 for both!!! if i put multiplier 2.4 i get 800mhz...is it good to leave it like this? thnx again!!!