Windows XP doesnt offer the screen resolution I want

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Hello,

My new monitor has optimal resolution at 1600 x 900. but my Windows XP/ Office 7 package doesn't offer that. I can either have 1280 x 1024 - which makes the text blurry or 1600 x 1200 with stretches the images. The 'slider' only toggles between those two settings. Anything I can do?

G

Try updating your video driver to the latest version. Do you install the driver for your monitor?

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Try updating your video driver to the latest version. Do you install the driver for your monitor?
It came with a cd but there didn't seem to be anything on it to install. But I'll look again..... that might well be the problem! Doh! Silly me. Thanks.

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Sadly no. I suspect it's a Window XP problem as the operating sytem is condiderably older than wide screen monitors....

G

In Display Properties, is you monitor listed as the actual name or Plug and Play? Some older video drivers don't support the newer widescreen resolutions. You could upgrade your video card.

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
In Display Properties, is you monitor listed as the actual name or Plug and Play? Some older video drivers don't support the newer widescreen resolutions. You could upgrade your video card.

just plug and play. When i go to monitor on the tab, the properties bit is greyed out. Do i need a physical video card, or will an updated drive do the trick?

G

Looks like you don't have the correct driver. What is the make/model of your computer?

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Looks like you don't have the correct driver. What is the make/model of your computer?
Dell Inspiron 530.

I've gone online to look for driver uploads, but am unsure as to which of the many they reccomend is the right one. I fear I'm not very technical!

I'll just chime in here for a second... If I may.

If you cannot obtain the resolution you desire in the Video Properties, look a bit further while you are there.

In video properties, click the "Settings" tab, then the "Advanced" button, then the "Adapter" tab, and look for a button near the bottom left of the properties box that says "List all modes"

You may find your resolution there or a multiple of it.

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Thank you for this suggestion, the 1600 modes only have x 1200 not x900, there's an 800 x 600 - but that's not the same ratio is it? or 640 x 480.

JaneTrig

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Your computer has a paper tag on it with the Service Tag.

I went on to Dell and downloaded something to do with video drivers - and lo and behold aspect ratio 1600x900 appeared in my setting options. Not really sure what it was I downloaded, but it worked.

Thank you for taking the time to help me

Jane