Sign in with
Your question

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste with Intel i7 920

Last response: in Overclocking
January 22, 2010 5:38:56 PM

Ok this is going sound really stupid. I put alot of time and money towards this setup I have. Now I been reading posts, and I still feel lost because I feel like each question has a different answer.

I have Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, and I have a Intel i7 920 cpu. I went to Arctic Silver's website, they said to apply it in a line which I thought was weird. I have heard people say apply a dot like a pea or bigger than a rice grain onto the cpu, and use a card or something.

I have a Corsair H50 cooling system, but Im not sure I could do.

I guess Im asking what would be the most efficient way of applying Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste onto a Intel i7 920 with a Corsair H50 cooling system.

Not ready to destroy a motherboard and cpu either, so I need help. Thanks guys.

Also a quick side note. Would this help keep my i7 stable if I overclocked it, or would it destroy it in no time?
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 22, 2010 5:56:52 PM

The blob works great, just use it. The application method they list is pretty old.

Blob bigger than a grain of rice, smaller than a small pea in the middle. Put the HS right on top of it. Ohh the H50 has pre-applied TIM so just use it. It seems to work fine for most people.

AS5 is decent paste but there is better.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23...

You should be able to hit 4.0 easy with that cooler. More and you'll need some better fans in push-pull on both sides of the rad. The H50 is as good as most top notch air cooling. Don't expect miricals tho. It is a teeny rad on the H50.
m
l
January 22, 2010 7:19:32 PM

I have the AZZA Solano 1000 case, with the AZZA dynamo 850 watt psu. Here is the case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has five fans on it, two are intake in the front, three are exhaust I believe. One fan on top of the case, one of the side, one in the back are blowing out the air.

Also I have the MSI X58 PRO-E motherboard, this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hopefully I can hit 4.0 with this setup. I just need to grab a copy of windows 7 this week, get my graphics card, and get some ddr 3 ram, and Im good to go.

What happens if the paste isnt doing what it should, I heard my friend tell me its hard to get off without a solution of some sort.

m
l
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 22, 2010 9:05:32 PM

Store bought (drugstore) alcohol and a qtip is all you need. With a wipe with a alcohol damped coffee filter. It has no lint. .
m
l
January 23, 2010 12:01:00 AM

The line is the best for AS5. Just make sure you know which way it goes.

I'm no longer a big fan of the spread method.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 23, 2010 12:27:45 AM

MagicPants said:
The line is the best for AS5. Just make sure you know which way it goes.

I'm no longer a big fan of the spread method.

Best for you maybe. The spread way always was a poor method. Let the OP try both ways, learning to do remounts and cleaning is a great way to learn.
m
l
February 21, 2010 8:16:40 AM

Hey guys I have a new problem.

I put together my entire system, will not turn on unless I hit the power button inside the motherboard. It boots for 20 seconds, and I cant install windows 7 64 bit.

Is there anyway to tell if static electricity destroyed my motherboard or cpu or something, do I have a faulty psu? Or am I doing something wrong? I used an anti static wrist band the whole time. I mean I can see the bios screen, and then it tries to install windows, and it just shuts down. Sometimes it only makes it to the bios screen.

Should I return my parts?
m
l
February 21, 2010 4:38:49 PM

Everything powered on fine, nothing is wrong now except one thing.

I have an msi pro-e motherboard, and a azza solano case, with an 850w azza dynamo power supply. I can turn the power on from the motherboard, but I cant turn on the power with the power on button in front of my computer. How can I fix this?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2010 5:15:11 PM

You must have messed up wiring the case to the mobo. Chack and make sure you got the wires correct, the manual will show you where to hook it up.
m
l
February 21, 2010 7:45:40 PM

The manual that came with the azza case was vague. It said things about front I/O or something to that extent, but it never showed how to hook up the cables or where to hook them up for that matter.
m
l
!