Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Usb device appearing as zero bytes

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2010 4:57:36 AM

Hello,
i am Ian...i have a problem with my intel flash memory USB...the computer detects it but the memory is zero bytes...it should be 16Gigabytes...please help to fix
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 12, 2010 9:28:52 AM

This topic has been moved from the section TomsNetworking to section Storage by Grumpy9117
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 12, 2010 10:40:44 AM

Have you written to the pendrive alot? It may have exceeded its write cycles. Pendrives generally have very bad (crappy) NAND flash, 3 or 4 bits per cell, and extremely high write amplification.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2010 2:19:29 AM

sub mesa said:
Have you written to the pendrive alot? It may have exceeded its write cycles. Pendrives generally have very bad (crappy) NAND flash, 3 or 4 bits per cell, and extremely high write amplification.

hey,

how would i know if it has already exceeded its write cycles?
thank you for your reply.
i have not yet written so many files on to my USB.
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
March 22, 2010 3:15:21 AM

Well i don't know what you did with it. But know that USB pendrives use crappy memory; while SSDs use much better 2-bit MLC memory paired with a real SSD controller.

If you used your USB pendrive as linux OS disk; or something similar where the pendrive would see regular small writes; that woul make it fail probably within a month. USB pendrives should be fine to handle large files though.
a b G Storage
April 5, 2010 4:31:11 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!