Solved

Usb device appearing as zero bytes

Hello,
i am Ian...i have a problem with my intel flash memory USB...the computer detects it but the memory is zero bytes...it should be 16Gigabytes...please help to fix
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about device appearing bytes
  1. This topic has been moved from the section TomsNetworking to section Storage by Grumpy9117
  2. Have you written to the pendrive alot? It may have exceeded its write cycles. Pendrives generally have very bad (crappy) NAND flash, 3 or 4 bits per cell, and extremely high write amplification.
  3. sub mesa said:
    Have you written to the pendrive alot? It may have exceeded its write cycles. Pendrives generally have very bad (crappy) NAND flash, 3 or 4 bits per cell, and extremely high write amplification.

hey,

how would i know if it has already exceeded its write cycles?
    thank you for your reply.
    i have not yet written so many files on to my USB.
  4. Best answer
    Well i don't know what you did with it. But know that USB pendrives use crappy memory; while SSDs use much better 2-bit MLC memory paired with a real SSD controller.

If you used your USB pendrive as linux OS disk; or something similar where the pendrive would see regular small writes; that woul make it fail probably within a month. USB pendrives should be fine to handle large files though.
  5. Best answer selected by r_manic.
Ask a new question

Read More

Flash Media USB Devices Flash Memory Storage