DefconZero

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Hey guys,

So recently of course I've been waiting, wanting and wondering whether or not I should build myself a new computer.

Money is not an issue, but there are other things down the road I'd look forward to getting, and if I can hold off my PC then I get maybe better manage my funds for it.

Basically next summer around mi-august I know that I will be starting my studies with the forces (unless I get refused of course, which can still happen), and therefore I will be buying a cheapo-note-taking laptop, but I was wanting to build a kickass system for games. As well, there's the car situation, and with the job I'll have next summer I should be able to get something decent in that area (planning to make anywhere between 10 and 15k in 2.5 months)

I've been doing my research, and have seen that apparently the big hit is supposed to be starting next summer with Nehalem/Deneb and the Ati R800 series. If this is true then my question is: Should I just sit tight with what I have and wait? Should I build myself a little something to keep me held over until then? What would you guys suggest?

Thanks!

Wes

Nytmare

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Build a system now just don't go extreme high end, then upgrade next summer. :)

You can build a very solid system yet not spend an arm and a leg.

Mid range Quad Core (9450 9550)
4870 or 4850 GPU
X48 or P45 MOBO
2 x 2 gig memory DDR2 800
PSU (Corsair 750w or 1000W modular or PC Power and Cooling)
Xigmatek CPU cooler

add hard drive, optical choices.... :ange:

Depending how you pick, could get a very nice system in the $1000-1500 range :pt1cable: