Question about the top hardware please

crazyworks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
hello,
well, iam a software programmer , i dont know alot about the hardware but iam doing very well in a lot of programming langues .

i wanna build big server , beside i want to got the best hardware in a new desktop for my programming works, i want to put in it the best hardware stuff , i want to use it for long time without needs for upgrades or
updates or stuff like that

so just i came here to the professionals in the hardware to help me to choice the types and models that i need like the best and the faster amd processor , the better and most powerful motherboard , the best type of vga cards to got the best grafic view , the best type of ram that i need to buy and any other addition hardware or software advices it will be helpful and of course i will be thankful for it

thanks

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
well, if you want the best, be prepared to pay premium

Intel 7i EE 965 ~1050$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115200

Asus P6T6 3x SLi @16x 369$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131358&Tpk=asus%20p6t6

EVGA GTX280 OC 369$ A.R + 400 + 400 (rebate only once per household) ~1200$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130368

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 170$ x2 = 340$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231230

Silverstone Zeus 1200W PSU 379$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256042

pick your case and whatever accessories you want.

Zenthar

Distinguished
We need a budget and perhaps a better description of what you want to do with it. To "want the best" usually spending way to much money for the performance you will get; get a notch under that and you save 25-50% of the price for a 5-10% performance drop.

There are many options opened to you depending on what you do exactly. Being a developer myself, I can think of a few. You could have an "ok" workstation for your IDE (that you might already have), but build a machine optimized for running multiple Virtual Machines (ex: VMWare) so you can simulate small network of computers if you are into distributed and/or n-tier programming.

The same machine could also be used as workstation AND host the VM, but it will be a bit more "sluggish" depending on the load on the VM.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

My bad =P

Probably better to get some Ati Fire GLs and some 2p socket systems.

Rather a dedicated server. VM'ing might be unnecessary if the host OS already has the application for a server eg. an Apache HTTP server is cross-platform and would not need VM'ing if the Host was say a Windows Workstation.

Zenthar

Distinguished
If not doing CAD and stuff like that, the FireGL is useless. If by programming the OP means Java/C/C++/C#/.NET, then a simple 50$ or even on-board card is enough.

I suggested VMs because some people have to test their applications in various environments (Windows, Linux, OSX, Solaris, ...) and having a dedicated server for each is painful. Sometimes you also need different kinds of servers, but installing 2 in the same "environment" can cause unnecessary complexities (ex: Oracle vs MySQL vs Postgres or IIS vs Apache or .NET vs J2EE). Using VM you just create a dedicated "virtual" servers that fits your needs and start the one(s) you need for a particular task.

The 2 socket idea should be considered if there are a lot of simultaneous VM runnings or if the OP is into heavy multi-process/thread programming. He has to need it or else it's lots of $$$ to pay for "nice to have".

crazyworks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
well thanks for that all replies . about my request , if i wanna use the desktop for programming languages like / Assembly / C# / Java / java script / php & .net & JSP / perl / all databases .beside of course running the graphic programs like Maya / 3d max / photo shop , i want to got the desktop very very speed in my stuff and loading the very heavy programming ,graphic and games works from mine too with high Performance

i study in my third year in the computer science college and cauze of that iam working in that all stuff in the same time

i care about the very high speed of course and the Performance in that desktop in the tasks that i works with beside i want to got amazing high speed desktop to remove the hardware update idea from my head in the next couple of years

all the people told me about the AMD possessor is the king and i don't like to got the desktop with Intel (i will be welcome with any comment about that) .

so if my budget like 1000 $ - 1500 $ for the CPU ,what would the best parts for that ??

(please if u know more addition good types or models just past all of them with comments about the deference just to give me space to choice the best stuff for my budget, thanks for help)

thanks

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
you do not need a dual socket mobo a 8 core i7 will rock
new i7 mobos have a sas raid0

you might choose a dual raid sas raid0 for the os and then raid10 or raid5 with the ich10r chipset

12gb is overkill but nice 6gb will do nice since 8gb was 10k a few years ago

all and all you set up a nice server sysem with i7 for $2500 with the sas drives - if you get them for $700 off ebay like me! :p

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
lol!

overclock it - do not think server - think like intel

what is a $1000 zeon? an overclocked cheapy part! same die same stuff

take the 920 run it 3.8ghz! i have built a few of these this week and they rip trough vista with raid they are very very nice!

you need good cooling - again think like intel not server (920 + beastly hsf = fast system + low price)

WSZi7X438-5.jpg

build list:

cpu: intel i7 920 clocked to 3.8-4.1ghz

hsf: thermalright ultra120 or ultima90 with 1366 kit

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-DS4

ram: 6gb ddr1333 supertalent or other

hdd: dual 750GB F1 SP drives in raid0 and raid1 dual volume. 700GB raid1 and 700GB raid0

gpu: 4870 x2 asus with triple fan cooling DARK KNIGHT

case: antec 1200, w/ door fan, luv led lights, uv reactive ide and sata cables

dvd: dual with dvd burner and blu-ray player only

psu: 1000w antec

LAN: killer k1 nic card - FREE UPGRDE TO M1 CARD

os: 64 bit vista hp with avg and compatible anti spyware

includes sound damping, uv led lights and uv cabes

CHANGES: change thermalright 120 to ultima90 if needed to fit door fan

color scheme build as with ebay ad - 4" green lights top, uv led bottom and red fans

i only post the parts for reference - that mobo was need for the 3 slot video card and the killer nic to fit and cool.

you build and if it does not work i give you a refund! ;P <me winking

crazyworks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

well , i just said before about iam so bad in the hardware and i don't know a lot about it , so iam afraid of i didn't understand almost of what you just wrote in that post

so please can you just explain more with supporting your post with some addition links for the types that u talking about just to got the point

sorry i know i look like just a fool in the hardware because i didn't got any real work or any experience with it before , but thanks a lot for help

thanks

crazyworks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
oh okay i got the point you are talking about . so what about the best VGA card for that cpu build? . beside as i told previously i will use the desktop in alot of different heavy stuff ,and what do u think about the amd build . is it better or the interl i7 920 ??? because all the people telling me about amd is the best

i will be welcome with any other builds or info or comments and of course i will be thankful for it

thanks

pat

Expert
Usually AMD has better price/performance. If you plan on virtualization, better look at the newer Opteron for now. I7 stuff for now are not good performance/price ratio as everything is overpriced. AMD PhenomII should be here soon after the holiday and should offer good price/performance ratio. Other, than that, the current Core2 or Phenom still perform good and should be sufficient for a few years. For video card, right now nvidia and ATI has some decent offer, but ATI seems to have an edge. but something newer should be here soon, from ATI and nvidia that would set current offer a few step back.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Heh, not a chance. You have to watch for dragonsprayer and roadrunner, their salesman first and enthusiasts second.

In effect, if you wish to develop for multi (read : More than 2) threaded enviroments, a Core i7 processor is a good choice for you. They are 4-core CPUs, but Intel has re-implimented HyperThreading Tech, meaning that to software, each core looks like 2. This gives you the ability to code for and test up to 8 threads on a single CPU. Thats alot of horsepower.

In terms of GPUs, will you be doing any gaming? If so, ATI HD4850 is hard to beat from a price/performance standpoint. HD4870 1GB and the nVidia GTX260 are also good options for slightly better performance. If your not gaming, a 9600GT or HD4650 should more than meet your needs.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Pretty much any quad core CPU on the market today will meet you needs. ($120-$400) I recommmend eith the Core i7 920, Phenom series or Core 2 Quad Q6600. However, if you really need excessive performance, try using a 2 socket or 4 socket system.

GPU should be important too since Maya, 3d max and Photoshop CS4 are all GPU Open GL accelerated. A good GPU will really help. I don't really know much about this, sorry.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

this is amd's last hope - if the low end will buy there parts - do not get me wrong - amd has fine stuff on the lowend but not for you

gpus:

if you have server type system - i build trading systems for high end traders you want good gpu that is low in price

4830 - can be pushed to 4870
9600GT - nice card

discounted 9800 series - the 9800gtx can be had very low just above $100 with rebates

good luck - if you need any help pm me!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

amd gal is 100% right and has a hot avatar - can i get a fine for sexual harassment of an avatar? luck i am the owner!

my 3d rendering customers have found that high end gpu's do not help, mid level and expansive workstation cards with 3d app bios are still too weak

bottom line is if got $2000 for a good workstation card ok if not stick with the detuned top cards like the 4830

crazyworks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
well , thanks a lot for every body you really helps me a lot to got the point that i need beside u gave me a lot of useful information .

but there are some thing that i wanna know about it , do u think the AMD PhenomII will be better than the Intel i7 when it released ??

i thought the amd possessors better than intel with high speed ,tech , performance and the price too as a lot of people told me . but here almost of the people telling me the Intel i7 and the Core 2 Quad Q6600 are non compared with the amd possessors because they have high high speed ,tech and performance doesn't exist on the amd processors .

i wish to got some info about that ,beside i wanna know if amd got possessors kind of close for the Intel i7 and the Core 2 Quad tech to compete with

thanks

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
there is no way that amd can catch up to intel with out some all new technology
this goes way beyond your question:

since 2003 4ghz has the max an intel cpu will run at with resonable voltage under 1.5v and air cooling, today the speed is about the same with more cores.
intel made changes so their cpu is alot like amd, both in the number steps and the memory controller.

amd cpus have not been able to go much beyond 3.4ghz or so, since 2004

why is this? it is the inherent limitation of the material the cpu's are made from. intel has a speed advantage probably due to secret doping or materila processing of the blank wafer or other things.
---------------------

your answer is no!

there is no way until amd makes a whole new design that has any change at beating intel at speed - they can make low power cpu's and low cost cpu's that compete well. but as far as a quad forget it.

amd cpu's get hotter around 2.8ghz while intel is 3.8ghz then you a fast ramping in temperature. that temperature is lost electrons that stop dead and convert to phonons to heat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonons

sweet spot of a cpu = the point where the temps start to rapidly increase

= 4.1ghz on p4
=3.6ghz q6600
=3.8ghz on 45nm e8400 or i7 920

some of this is off since the ramping of temps is different, again intel technolgy is superior -- amd is behind in a long race. they can always see the car in front (intel) as soon as they catch up intel takes off

2005-2006 amd passed intel on this race - intel had a pit stop

after 2006 intel passed amd and amd getts further and further behind.

at best the phonon

crazyworks

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
oh that's exactly what i needs to know , so thanks a lot every body and special thanks for the best man dragonsprayer ,you really gave me the all info ,data that i requested for .

thanks a gain