Installed new core 2 quad , getting blank screen

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I just upgraded my MS-7350 MSI board from a pentium D to a Core 2 Quad. But whenever I go to start up the computer I get a blank display. I get no beeping sounds or any other signs of errors except the blank display. All the fans are working and everything seems to be fine on the mobo. Is there a reason why this is happening? On the MSI site it says this board is compatable with my processor so it should be working. Thanks for the help in advanced.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
lol!
its a 650i!

you need a bios update if even supports your e0 - is it a new quad? look the model up on the cpu or box
check the stepping
google the bios update if it exists - put back in your old cpu and update the bios the newest
and pray!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
A quick Google search showed a vendor selling that board with a Q9400 so it appears it supports the newer (non-i7) quad cores from Intel and it would certainly support the Q6600 with the appropriate BIOS. The upgrade from a Pentium D to a quad core would be HUGE for the OP.

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
I reseted everything, took the battery out for 3-5 mins and held the red button down for 5 seconds to reset everything. Still no display, all after I installed a new cpu. Now the old one is working on the mobo.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Remove your CMOS battery for five minutes to clear the bios. Try booting with your old CPU and update the bios on your motherboard. If it doesn't work with the new CPU after that.... you're boned. I have the same motherboard running a q6600 (though the board just died, I'm waiting on my new gigabyte p45-ud3lr to get here). It was my understanding that 650i boards would support 45nm duals with a bios update but not the 45nm quads.

And for the record, that motherboard sucks (the MSI P6N SLI). It has given me nothing but trouble up until it died a few days ago. I am eagerly awaiting my shipment from newegg, and will probably not be using any MSI motherboards again.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I purchased an e8500 for my p965 platinum that was "supposed" to be compatible. Well, when it didn't work, I called MSI support only to have them tell me that the stepping I had was unsupported. I think that is BS and I don't see how a stepping would have anything to do with a processor not being compatible with a board that says it supports a certain model. I will never buy another MSI motherboard. They overclock like crap and have compatibility issues. Do yourself a favor and purchase another board instead of returning the processor. It will save you from further headache.

publicenemy219

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yeah I removed the cmos battery for about 5 minutes resetted it with the old CPU and it still didn't work. I'm running out of ideas here, I purchased it from newegg almost a year ago so I dont know if a warranty is still intact and even then I don't want the board if its going to have these problems.