PC won't shutdown but XP does

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I just built a new PC ~2 weeks ago with the following:
■Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
■Western Digital Caviar GP WD5000AACS 500GB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
■CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
■Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
■ASUS P5QL-E LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
■XFX PVT88SFDD4 GeForce 8800GS XXX 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I'm also using an older single layer NEC DVD burner and a Toshiba DVDROM drive.

My problem is that if the PC is on for more than a few hours, it won't shut down. I have Windows XP Pro and it shuts down. The monitor goes black but the PC itself is still running.

Searches on the net point to a possible issue with ACPI. I only found a setting in the bios for ACPM (not sure if that is the same thing.) ACPM 2.0 support was disable but I enabled it. Problem still exists.

There are no APM tabs in Control Panel for me to configure.

I thought it might be an Intel chipset issue. I downloaded the auto installer but can't tell if it installed anything. It decompresses the files to a folder but it never goes and runs thru the install.

I have Microsoft's HIVE cleanup util/service running. I don't think this is an issue becuase XP does actually shut down.

I have an external thermaltake enclosure with a WD 160 gig drive connected via USB 2.0, an HP P1005 laser connected. Nothing else other than some open ended USB cables for my mp3 player and camera.

Sooo.....any ideas what the cause is? Other than this, the PC is running great.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. I had an old 939 DFI Lanparty board that would not power down. I changed power supplies and even changed cases in desperation but nothing helped. I just gave up trying to find the cause and just got a new board. I'm not saying that is what you should do but perhaps the mainboard is no good.

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
My first thought was that it was just the fan. I let the PC sit overnight and it was still on in the morning. The power led light on the case was still on too.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
hey, i've got even better: had the same problem. you shut down XP your screen goes black but only your casefans and (if it work also) your psu fan still turns.
i had only that problem when i was gaming and than shut down the pc imediatly. but if i was only surfing, the pc did normal. now with service pack 3 i haven't YET get the problem.

so my main question to you is: did you warm up your pc by some heavy applications?

did you game, and shut down after it within the same minute?

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Emaxx - Lookup your psu manufactures web site and checkout the spec on your psu.
I use an Ultra 800w and mine has spin down technology, which took a few days to get use to. Here's mine;
(The X-Pro 800W also features "After Spin Technology" to help quiet the system and aid in prolonging the life of your components. Connectors for chassis fans are thermostatically controlled; RPM's are reduced when temperatures inside the case are low. PSU, chassis and CPU fan connectors remain spinning several minutes after the PC is powered down allowing the system to gradually cool down after use. )

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Well, yesterday, I did play Doom 3 for a few hours. Another time I was editing a video but the PC barely broke a sweat (per Task Manager). The first time, it was general IE browsing.

I'm also running XP Pro with sp3 and all updates applied after that. Video drivers are up to date as well.

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008

It's an Antel 500w PSU. It was still "running" almost 6 hours after I shut it down.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
6 hours?? yeah, i didn't wait until it stopped, i just pulled out the 'stekker'.

no electricity = no pc :p

don't worry about it i guess, bull the plunch (how do you call the thing at the end of your electric wire?) out of you psu.

greatings

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

i can't expect that i know every english word. do you know my language? i guess not

i think the most important thing is, that he has got my point!

ps i'm not dutch, i'm belgian (we don't like the dutchmen)

G

Its an Asus issue

as far as i know.. theres so many f*cked up things with asus boards...

If I turn off the computer... and then the powerstrip its connected to... come back later and turn everything back on... it RESETS THE BIOS.... like cmon... great preventative measures in case there was a power outtage... but I can't seem to turn it off... and its really annoying

Also sometimes i reboot... and the system is still running... but nothing is displayed... so i think somethings just up with asus settings but I have no idea how to fix it sry

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
i have an asus p5ld2 old model rev 1.0, i started to have this problems only this year. i have it for almost 3 years. maybe it is an asus problem. dispite, i like my pc, never had problems with it...

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008

Yes. I assume that's a good sign?

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008

Windows is set to "shutdown".

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
APM setting is set to enabled as well as APCM 2.0 support enabled. The power button will shut the PC down but is inconsistent as well.

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I found another thread where users had trouble with the dvd burner/rom drives attached to the master/slave connections on the IDE. My only IDE drives are my burner and rom drives. They are both configured to cable select. I know you're not supposed to have an optical drive listed as the master with an HD as a slave (can't recall the reason why). Do you think this could be the problem?

I'm thinking of ordering a SATA-based dvd dl burner. I was holding off on it but if the above is true, I'll place the order today.

The default is Suspend Mode [Auto], ACPI 2.0 [Disabled] and ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]. I assume that you enabled ACPI 2.0 before installing Windows XP Pro, but what was the reason to change the default settings? Depending on the Hal that's currently in use, you might have to reinstall the O/S if you change the settings back to their default value.

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
The only setting I changed was the ACPI 2.0 support to enabled. I changed it after I had the OS installed with all of my apps when the machine would not shut down automatically.

What is HAL and how do I check to see if it's currently in use.

The Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) can be found in C:\WINDOWS\system32. The standard one is named HAL.DLL and it's probably the one that's installed on your PC. Try disabling both ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC Support to see if it resolves your issue.