Sign in with
Your question

Weird frame rate issue, Please HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2008 10:43:07 AM

Recently I just realised that my 3Dmark 06 result is all over the show , the frame rate is really laggy when it is suppose to be reasonable fast , sometimes I would restart or shut down and turn the computer back on , it would fix the problem , but sometimes it wont.

the first scene of 3Dmark 06 , normally I would get around 4200 frames in total, And now its half around 2000 frames in total , and I remember shutting down and rebooting the computer would fix it , now it wont.~ but the thing is , it doesnt affect games like Warhammer online or fallout 3. I am playing it on 2560x1600 all maxed , the fps doesnt feel laggy. but I remember last time I was playing fallout 3 the fps went really bad , and it restarted with a blue screen. After the crash it went all back to normal performance

Any idea guys ?

my current spec is

Core 2 Duo E6300@ 2.66ghz
Win XP 32bit Professional SP3
ASUS P5B Delux Wi/Fi (BIOS 1004)
Balastisk Tracer 1066 Dual channel
Enermax Liberty 620W
EvGA 8800GTX ( 175.19 driver) - No overclock have been done to it

More about : weird frame rate issue

November 4, 2008 10:56:38 AM

All i can say buddy is make sure your drivers are working and you have the most upto date firmware. Seems odd that you sometimes get problems and sometimes don't
November 4, 2008 11:02:56 AM

where can I start ? how do I check my driver is working properly ?

do you think I should get the latest mobo BIOS ??
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2008 11:37:24 AM

Uninstall and completely reinstall your drivers.
Check the card physically to make sure the fan is working, no dust accumulation, etc. You may even want to pull it out and reseat it.
Could also be the power supply, if it is going bad, it could be dropping voltage to the card causing it to throttle back. Could also explain your crashing problems.
November 4, 2008 12:11:11 PM

I just tried installing to the latest NV driver , still doesnt work , now the game is running slow too. restarting or rebooting doesnt fix it now....is my gfx card dying ?
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2008 12:18:36 PM

maybe try taking it out, unplug the pc, walk around with the card saying how much you love it and then put it back in? xP

if my card would get slow i would do that.......
November 4, 2008 12:36:57 PM

175.19 driver????

Why don't you update ur Drivers???? those are like around since march 08...
November 4, 2008 6:57:36 PM

I tried my computer this morning , 3D mark 06 runs fine and its all back to normal , this is really weird, how come I couldnt get it to work last night.
November 4, 2008 7:15:16 PM

it crapped out again as I restart my computer ............ : ( , I have also test it under Vista , still the same problem
November 5, 2008 5:52:33 AM

Check RIVA tuner.

I had this exact same problem with my 7800 GT, and it turned out that it was downclocking back to 2D speeds after 10 seconds.

I still don't know why, but it started after a driver update.
!