Asus m3n78-EM Issues

Rekatan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
This is a bit of a duplicate post since I also put it in power supplies, but I honestly need all the help I can get :fou:

Having a lot of strange issues with my asus m3n78-EM, and trying to sort it all out. I've been suspecting the board because many of my problems are things other buyers reported as well on newegg.

One thing that threw a red flag is the +12v rail is showing +12.18 - +12.26 in the bios.

Is this enough to be causing some trouble? And moreover, is it excessive enough that it could be damaging hardware?

The numerous issues I've been having include: Failure to POST from cold boot (CMOS reset needed in some cases), overheating and gradual lack of performance of the iGPU (eve online ran premium at just over 30 fps at first install, now premium is unplayable and classic can drop as low as 5 fps at times), slow load times for most anything (my old 1gb of ram Athlon 2700+ machine loads winxp in 1/3 the time), and a slight overvoltage of the processor, hovering between 1.44 - 1.48v

Bios has been updated to newest revision, didn't help at all :(

So, any ideas folks? I just started building computers again after a bit of a break, and first I come back to find abit is no longer worth buying, and seemingly no longer even in the business.. And now I'm having even more troubles with this asus board. Clearly in over my head as too much has changed =/ . For all I know i've done something wrong along the way in connecting my PSU to the motherboard.

Thx.

PSU:
Rosewill 500W Max.
+3.3V@24A, +5V@20A, +12V1@19A, +12V2@18A,
-12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.5A

Full Specs:
MB ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+ GF8300
CPU AMD|A64 X2 6000+ 3.1G AM2 1M
MEM 2Gx2|CORS TWIN2X4096-6400C5
HD 250G|ST 7K 8M SATA2 ST3250310AS
DVD BURN LITE-ON|DH-20A4P-04 20X

dreadloxx

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Well im having a similar problem with my M3A78-T. i just put my system together and everything was working great...about 2 days later i bought a new 9800gtx oc, i was on for a few hours and then shut my system down. when i started it back up i had no post. I moved the card around to diffrent pci slots and it would work then i would cold start it again and the same problem happened. The only way i get it to come back on is if i take be power cable out of the back and let it set for a few mins then plug it back in...can anyone tell me whats going on or what the problem could be?

Rekatan

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I'm honing in on the power supply. Which would be fairly likely for you as well given that your problems started after adding a video card.

I've been talking with asus and their latest motherboards have significantly higher demands than previous. Even the micro atx boards are still demanding just as much as their larger cousins. Check the amperage demands for your specific board and see if your PSU exceeds them. It's possible that video card pushed your PSU over its limit.

00TANK

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
i have a m3n78-em also,I am having FPS issues with the 9800 and the 8800, i initially thought it was the 8800 GFX card so got the 9800, same problem playing Americas army, start with good fps then after a while gets real erratic, and if i start it up after couple of hours of pc being on standby well there is no hope of playing, i have replaced everything,psu, ram ,cpu and i can only put it down to board.

jahjahman

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I've run into a similar problem with another ASUS board recently and ended up having to get another mobo. I added 9600GT to the mix and ended up with the same problems as dreadloxx. I thought it was my power supply too and bought a higher wattage unit. What ended up being the problem is the power draw that my video card had on my system. The video card came with its own power connectors (two white molex -> 1 pci-e ). Using this connector was a big mistake. I later found out that my power supply comes with a special rail specifically for PCI-E graphics cards and their power needs. My original power supply still works and I've since set up my other machines successfully using the dedicated rail.

emsatt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I have a asus M3N78 motherboard and the manual said I could that even though I had a 64 bit version cpu which is a AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 60000+ 64 bit, I could still install my 32 bit windows Xp but upon doing so cmos stuffed up and I then relised that the manual is wrong. So if any one has a cmos problem check the bit verson of the software installed.

dragon788

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Make sure you have a 24 pin PSU and you are running the latest BIOS revision. I've had no problems with my two boards with two very different (5000+ and LE1250) procs and varying amounts of RAM (4GB and 8GB). The only problem I've had recently was actually attributable a definite PSU failure, the exhaust fan on the PSU stopped spinning entirely. That's what I get for a $50 PSU around a year old.

G

I bumped into this while upgrading my sound for a system I've been using for months now. (I will hook into my stereo system) I have not had any problems with the ASUS M3N78-EM. You guys who add cards for video or even audio and you overclockers need to buy a MB that doesnt have on board video and also use a better power supply.
ASUS M3N78-EM, ram = 2gbx2gb, windows xp, amd 64x2 6400+, 2 fans in a cooler master tower.

TRENDING THREADS