Sign in with
Your question

Using Apricorn EZ to remove virus.

Last response: in Toms Network
July 16, 2009 6:05:45 PM

'Gotta problem. My daughter went wildly surfing the web without any AV software installed. Now she's got a Trojan that won't let me access McAfee to cure the problem. Was wondering if I could use the hardware to scan her HDD for the virus with my PC and not have to worry about being infected myself. In other words, can I safely scan her HDD using the McAfee on my system?

More about : apricorn remove virus

July 16, 2009 7:41:37 PM

As long as McAfee is up to date and the virus is not brand new you should be ok.

Try downloading the free AVG version onto her system.
For me, AVG always found the newer viruses before McAfee could detect them.

Did you try booting into safe mode?
m
l
July 17, 2009 9:50:18 PM

Robert Miller said:
'Gotta problem. My daughter went wildly surfing the web without any AV software installed. Now she's got a Trojan that won't let me access McAfee to cure the problem. Was wondering if I could use the hardware to scan her HDD for the virus with my PC and not have to worry about being infected myself. In other words, can I safely scan her HDD using the McAfee on my system?

I tried AVG, safe mode, manually updating the McAfee DAT files in Programs folder all with no success. Finally gave up and reloaded XP with a full format after saving some music to my flash card (scanned it on my PC). Then McAfee, Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Malwarebites, Uniblue Registry Booster, Cookie Muncher, and Spycatcher. She'll have a hard time catching something from now on. She'd have to almost try. Smooth as silk now.
m
l
!