I can share my DVD burner over a network OK (i.e. the remote PC "sees" the
drive) until I put a DVD-R in it, then the sharing option disappears from
its properties. I wanted to use it to do a backup of a networked PC i.e.
Set up sharing on the local PC, assign the DVD burner a drive letter on the
remote PC, then execute the backup application on the remote PC. But when I
execute the backup program on the remote PC, point it to the relevant drive
letter, it says cannot access the burner.

Any thoughts?

My first thought is to reverse the logic.
Pull the backup to the machine with the burner and burn from there.

To get the system state data you would need to run the backup to a local
file on the harddisk and them pull the completed backup file to the machine
with the burner.

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman