New installation, but no active mixer drivers available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeekerG

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

I have just completed two OS-SW installations, but end up with the same problem.

Error signals can be heard, but not the 'Startup' or 'Shutdown' wav sounds.
According to 'Legacy Audio Driver's Properties' it shows 'This device is working properly'.
When I look in 'Multi Media Audio Properties' I get the following 'The drivers for this device are not installed [Code 28]'.
I am not able to alter the volume control.
No luck when I follow the instuctions to got to 'Printers and Other Harware' to check the Installation CD.

I've conducted many installations, but I've never run into this problem before.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem, or what files (and location) are needed, I could copy them from another machine.

It would be great if someone can help, as I'm at my wits' end.

Don't give up, it's not that bad.
Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, control panel, add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.
Let the forum know if that solves the problem. SGM

SeekerG

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
@ soundguruman,

mega thanks for the info, all is up and running as it shoud be. :bounce:

I still don't understand why this problem cropped up, I've installed everything from the same disks, and same machine, many times without any problems.

I really appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to pull me out of this predicament.

May you be entered into the Hall of Fame. :D

My best regards.

Karl.

WRITERLYME

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I have been ignoring this problem, since I have another computer, but now, I've installed my iTunes on this computer, an HP laptop.

WRITERLYME

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
SoundGuruMan,

There isn't even a speaker icon in my tray. This just suddenly stopped working after doing fine for four years.

Go into Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and tick to show the volume icon in the systray. While you're there, check the Hardware tab to see if anything is installed. If it still fails, please start a new thread so this old one can be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.