Over clocking my gateway fx laptop

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Laptops
  • Overclocking
  • Gateway
Last response: in Overclocking
January 23, 2010 7:51:37 PM

Hey i need to know how to overclock my gateway m-6864FX anyone got any help?

More about : clocking gateway laptop

January 23, 2010 8:04:34 PM

I doubt the BIOS on a gateway laptop will support overclocking. Not to mention overclocking on a laptop is generally a bad idea due to insufficient cooling.
m
l
January 23, 2010 8:15:51 PM

well the laptop has a heat sink that will keep the processors at around 65'C stock running the 2 2.00Ghz CPU's I'm not too worried about it over heating.. i was hoping to get them up to around 2.50Ghz and i've always wanted to overclock it
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2010 8:17:13 PM

It's real easy, just get a car battery and a pair of jumper cables.

Now, take the jumper cables and put one side on the LOWER left hand side of your monitor, careful, not on the top but on the lower side. Then do the same on the right hand side. Your computer will fly, enjoy.

m
l
January 23, 2010 8:19:32 PM

Here's some specks

OS Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model M-6864FX
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Gateway 91.24, 5/22/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4

m
l
January 23, 2010 8:21:16 PM

RJR said:
It's real easy, just get a car battery and a pair of jumper cables.

Now, take the jumper cables and put one side on the LOWER left hand side of your monitor, careful, not on the top but on the lower side. Then do the same on the right hand side. Your computer will fly, enjoy.

its easier to just say its not gonna work.. thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2010 8:26:56 PM

Geeze, nobody can take a joke anymore!

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2010 8:29:54 PM

Theres ways to o/c your gpu. ...........its been mentioned = DON'T DO IT.
It is fun and a little addictive to o/c and eek performance out of your desktop.
For the most part , they are resillient.
Its very easy to kill your laptop. Especially one thats a few months or more older.
Inevitably there is dust in the vents/heatsinks , fans, sometimes the cooling efficiency is just a little less as they get older. Thats why even stock laptops have numerous models that people have trouble with, them operating stock. Killing the onboard gpu makes the laptop instantly useless and expensive to fix.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 23, 2010 8:31:09 PM

Not gonna happen. 65C is only 5c away from being to hotttt. So if you did manage to OC it she would over heat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2010 8:34:08 PM

i spent alot of time overclocking ATOM based netbooks, as well as intel notebooks. its not as bad as many people think, and theres a great little program called 'setFSB' that helps. but, if you aren't already versed in OCing, i wouldn't recmomend it. heat is mroe of an issue than with a desktop, as it can damage surrounding components as well as the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 23, 2010 11:47:44 PM

Software overclocking is generally frowned upon and a Gateway is about the last thing I'd even consider such a move on.

I mean I could beef up a weed whacker too but to what advantage? :D 
m
l
January 24, 2010 2:22:46 AM

the laptop is nice. great gaming laptop and i got it used at a great price. my friend had it for 2 months upgraded the processor and was running an Intel extreme core in it with the other processor i know that's hard to believe but it was up and running. anyway the fan was keeping up with it.. after 2 months he thought it was better to get a desktop instead.. needless to say i got parts in a shoebox and had to put it together. so i somewhat know the insides and out. i'm just looking to kick out a little more power? can anyone help? if not OC, is there another alternative?
m
l
January 24, 2010 2:41:19 AM

and "setFSB" doesn't support my intel PM965.. haha this is why i"m so crazy bout clocking this because everyone says it can"t be done
m
l
!