Sign in with
Your question

Abit NF7 died. Cheapest replacement? Pref new.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 5, 2009 12:18:58 PM

Can someone provide a link to any deals on NIB, refurbs etc that accept DDR 400, and Athlon CPU's?

I checked ebay but at $50 a pop I could probably do better asking here.

Here are some specs:

Features

AGP 8X
AGP 3.0 8X spec supports high performance graphics processing at a peak bandwidth of 2.1 GB/s.

Serial ATA 150
Serial ATA is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA storage interface. This new high-speed interface burst data transfer rate up to 150 Mbytes/sec and more flexible power tolerances, cables can be smaller and more efficient

Dual DDR 400
Dual DDR combines the power of DDR400 with two 64-bit independent memory controllers, the 128-bit memory controller integrated on chip provides up to 6.4 GB/sec bandwidth for system memory, and gives you highest performance and cost-effective platform.

5bit FID (Frequency ID)
By ABIT 5-bits FID Override technology, users can get variety of CPU over-clocking sets.

ABIT CPU H.T.P (Hardware Thermal Protection)
ABIT CPU H.T.P. uses pure hardware detection, which not like others use software detection to prevent CPU overheating. ABIT CPU H.T.P provides more reliable result for customers' investment.

ABIT SoftMenu™
The overclocking function includes CPU frequency, Vcore, multiplier, chipset & DDR voltage and AGP VDDQ voltage adjustment available to maximize your system performance.

SoundStorm™ Technology
Real-time Dolby Digital 5.1 audio encoding delivering up to 256 simultaneous audio streams

6-Channel Audio and Optical S/PDIF Out
Lets you enjoy 6-channel audio without having to buy advanced sound cards.

Specifications

CPU

* Ready for AMD 400FSB Processors
* Supports AMD-K7 Duron / Athlon / Athlon XP/Barton FSB 200/266/333 MHz Processors
* Supports AMD Sempron CPUs (Please update the latest BIOS version)

Chipset

* NVIDIA nForce™2 SPP chipset with MCP
* Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)
* Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 8X/4X (0.8V/1.5V)

Dual DDR

* Dual DDR architecture combines two independent 64-bit memory controllers
* Dual DDR400 provides up to 6.4GB/s bandwidth for system memory

Memory

* Three 184-pin DIMM sockets
* Supports 3 DIMM DDR 200/266/333 (Max. 3 GB)
* Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (Max. 2 GB)

Audio

* 6-Channel AC 97 CODEC on board
* Professional digital audio interface supports optical S/P DIF Out

LAN

* On board 10/100Mb LAN Physical layer interface

ABIT Engineered

* SoftMenu™Technology
* ABIT MaxFID™Technology
* ABIT CPU TermalGuard™

Internal I/O Connectors

* 1 AGP, 5 PCI slots
* Floppy Port supports up to 2.88 MB
* 2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100/133 Connectors
* 2 x USB 2.0 headers
* 1 x CD-IN, 1 x IrDA

Back Panel I/O

* 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 mouse
* 2 x Serial, 1 x Parallel
* 1 x S/P DIF Output
* Audio connectors (Front Speaker, Line-in, Mic-in, Center/Sub, Surround Speaker)
* 2 x USB, 1 x RJ-45 LAN Connector

Miscellaneous

* ATX form factor
* Hardware monitoring - Including Fan speed, Voltages, System environment temperature
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 5, 2009 3:41:37 PM

Check computer geeks or ascendtech.us. Matching the nforce2 chipset on the nf7 may be difficult or more expensive. You can also check the "for sale" sections of this or anandtech's forum. If you register, you can post a wtb (wanted to buy).
February 5, 2009 7:28:43 PM

I don't mind getting a totally different motherboard. It is for my GF and all she does is surf. No overclocking etc. It does have to be a pretty small mobo though (she has a compact case)
Related resources
February 6, 2009 1:19:25 AM

You're better off to buy a new CPU and MB. You can get a much faster, higher quality nice microATX sized MB + CPU with more modern features (e.g. USB) for not much more than $100. Here's a nice combo for $120 that allows future upgrades to Phenom etc and includes built-in video that lot's better than your old AGP video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
February 6, 2009 2:18:09 PM

Mondoman said:
You're better off to buy a new CPU and MB. You can get a much faster, higher quality nice microATX sized MB + CPU with more modern features (e.g. USB) for not much more than $100. Here's a nice combo for $120 that allows future upgrades to Phenom etc and includes built-in video that lot's better than your old AGP video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

For sure, but when I get a fan and memory it starts going into $200 territory.

She is happy with her PC, she only surfs, downloads and listens to music. I was hoping for a cheap $35 solution. Suppose I better start nosing around.
February 7, 2009 4:12:35 AM

The fan is free with the CPU, and RAM these days only costs $25 for 4GB or $20 for 2GB (after rebate, with free shipping, from newegg). There are also cheaper CPU+MB combos on newegg. Good luck!
February 7, 2009 2:08:48 PM

If you really want to reuse all your old parts for a basic machine, I'd recommend the $35 PC Chips MB from Newegg. It's just about the only new Socket A board available today and it was a downgrade from the dead ASUS A7N8X boards. I know from the reviews that this has been hit or miss for some people, but I have purchased three of them and all of them worked fine. This allowed me to bring the PCs back to life and donate them to someone who could use them. Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!