Sign in with
Your question

Simple raid question for you pros

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2010 11:46:43 PM

I have set up a raid 10 on 4 WD harddrives about a year ago. Could I buy another one of the same drives and install it and add it in the raid utility to be apart of the raid and would it include it in and rebuild the array with loosing any data? Thanks guys for the input.
March 12, 2010 11:47:33 PM

dmax2500hd said:
I have set up a raid 10 on 4 WD harddrives about a year ago. Could I buy another one of the same drives and install it and add it in the raid utility to be apart of the raid and would it include it in and rebuild the array with loosing any data? so I want to have 5 harddrives now instead of just 4 Thanks guys for the input.

m
l
March 13, 2010 2:52:04 PM

Well I thought it would be a simple raid question I guess not.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
March 13, 2010 3:02:33 PM

You'll have to specify what kind of RAID you're using; it has to support this. Intel onboard RAID offers alot of migration features. However, with a RAID0+1, you can only expand per 2 disks; you need to have an even number of disks. You may also opt just to create a second array.

Please remember: a RAID can never replace a backup. Onboard Windows driver-RAIDs fail more often due to failure on the RAID-level; not on the physical level.

So, you may opt for running RAID0 instead, and use the other disks as backup instead. That would offer more protection than one RAID0+1 array, and still cost you the same space/overhead, and generally you also get the same performance.
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:38:27 PM

Yes I am using intel matrix on board with the asus P5E3 Hopefully you can answer my question
m
l
a b G Storage
March 14, 2010 1:44:58 PM

A RAID 10 array is a good balance of redundancy and speed. I would not switch to RAID 0, personally.

As sub noted, you have to add drives in pairs to a RAID 10. I don't know anything about intel matrix, the documentation for that should mention whether you can dynamically add drives. Could be worth having that as a standalone drive to back up some data, or for things that don't need the same level of performance. Heck, for me, I'd make it an external backup device so that data is physically separated.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 14, 2010 1:49:25 PM

Switching to RAID0 implies that you use the "mirrored" disks as backup instead. Two RAID0 arrays where one is a backup is safer than one RAID0+1 array.

External backup, etc. is fine of course. But if he won't be buying more HDDs, the RAID0 suggestion is the only setup that allows for a backup.

To expand the current RAID with 2 more disks, despite my warnings, would be accomplished by pressing some key after your BIOS POST, to get into the Intel MatrixRAID setup utility.
m
l
March 14, 2010 2:21:07 PM

FORGET I EVER ASKED THIS QUESTION YOU ALL MIX IT UP AND CANNOT FOLLOW THE POST I AM NOT USING RAID 0
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 14, 2010 2:32:20 PM

You've gotten a clear answer as far as i can see.

Your question was whether you could expand your current RAID 0+1 or 1+0 array; thats what you call RAID10. The answer was that you can expand this array with 2 more disks using the Intel RAID controller. The Intel RAID solution should allow you to do this without losing your data.

Aside from that, you have been given a suggestion to use backups instead of mirroring to protect your data. If you got both, that's great. If you have to choose, pick the backup instead.

m
l
a b G Storage
March 14, 2010 9:03:26 PM

Your original question was answered - you can not add a single drive to a RAID 10 array.
m
l
!