Help with my board

fopoplayer

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I'm building my first computer and I'm not sure about which motherboard to get. I would like to use the computer for gaming, a little work (maybe mapping software such GIS), and would like to multitask without any lag. My price range is around $2000. Here's my build so far:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
MB: Asus P6t6 revolution
RAM: Corsair XMS3 (3X2GB) DDR3
GPU: EVGA GTX 285
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
Heatsink/Fan: Noctua NH-C12P plus Core i7 Mounting Kit
ODD: Lite-On 22x sata
PSU: Zalman ZM850W-HP 850W
Case: Lian-Li PC-K7B
Monitor: ASUS VH226H 1920x1080 21.5"

My main concern is the motherboard. I will probaly not run tri-sli becuase I've heard there are minimal differences between that and the dual setup but I will eventually do the dual setup. Is this board overkill? Could someone explain to me the expansion slot situation on this thing? Also, let me know if you see anything else that I may have messed up on. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

scrumhalf

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
The board might be a little bit overkill for what you're building. The Asus P6T Deluxe would probably suit you better, and it will save you some scratch. The P6T6 Revolution is the workstation level motherboard and it features 2 southbridges to add the extra PCIx lanes, which is why it has 6 PCIx slots. I agree that 3xSLI isn't cost/performance effective when 2xSLI provides plenty of performance. I think overall you will have an easier time with the Deluxe. I just build a similar spec system with the P6T Deluxe and I can tell you it is a beautiful, feature rich, rock solid board. The BIOS is quite impressive and solid as well, great for overclocking.