PRE-upgrade Discussions: Processor / GFx Selection

c0d3r

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2005
Okay, so im planning for an upgrade in the near future.. so im starting early on the discussion. So here goes the initial details and questions:

INTEL vs AMD:
1- Gonna go for Intel. AMD isnt going to get near this soon even if they swithc to 45nm (phenoms are at 65).

2- So if its intel, i need motherboard selection aswell. Recently intel have started giving out good mobos aswell, but im still going to go with MSI (i like the brand). Other option is Asus, or xfx.... Chipset is still to be decided tho, but 790i is a bit on the expensive side. :S

Quad Vs Dual:
3- My processor budget is not Extra ordinarily high, so from benchmarks, it seems like Q6600 and E8500 are the choices atm. The thing is, E8500beats q600 in gaming, but q6600 has more future. NOW, since most games and apps DONT use multi cores, so quad is a bit... well it looks good, but IS IT WORTH IT? Future proofing is ONE answer, but if the particular future is after arnd 2-3 odd yrs, it would be obsolete by then anyway :S Some of u have quads, and some have duals... opinions required please.

The thing is this: The story of multi tasking vs gaming, to me atleast.. is Overrated. See, with my current 3800x2 (at 2.0g, and ddr-1 ram) i can multitask pretty good, even in vista. Its all about the programs that u are multitasking.

Tell me, when have u run a Full system AVscan or some other processor intensive stuff when u are playing any game? be it as light as ut2k4? I think never! Autoprotect is always enabled in everycomputer, and that has never caused any problem to anybody.

Besides, even if i have the quad, the thing is that if the game / app does not use multi threads, and is not optimized for using multi cores, then even if i had a Skulltrail and 8 cores, it wudnt help!

One thing that is worth considering is that e8500 outperforms in every game benchmark vs q6600 , apart from Supreme Commander and wic i think(which are multi-core supported games).

Oh and please Note: I WILL OVERCLOCK. That means that the quad does get and edge at higher stabler clocks, but cooling solutions wud be required :S

To Sli or NOT to SLI?
4- SLI is a dream, but sli does require extra cooling, generates a lot of heat, and with the kind of temperatures we have here in pak in summers, i dont want to get baked in my room when playing. Suggestions required.

Nvidia vs ATI -- SLI Vs Crossfire
4- Im an nvidia fan. BUT, Gx280 and Gx260 are dissappointing. G90 chips reused. Nothing new, bad performers. now 4850 and 4870 on the other hand are sweeeeeeet atm. But i wud still like to go for nvidia. One option is that i go 2x9800gtx.

2x4850 is another good idea, and that wud be a good combination aswell. Ill definitely see the benchies for this, coz i haven t actually paid much attention to ati :/

As for the gtx260, its a poor performer, and the gtx280, is kinda useless to me coz its the same G92 chipset, which means that 9800gtx or ultra can easily catch up with proper overclocking and tweaking. I wud rather wait for the gxx chip whic wud mean some new advancement. Else id go for the 9series gtx(s-- if 2x)

Nvidia X2 are boring coz they generate a lot of heat, and provide less performance than proper sli, and dont outperform in any other place. so no x2 at all for me... tho ati x2 mighttt be interesting
But all in all, im still an nvidia fan ;)

Gaming Resolutions will be 1280x1024 AND 1600x1200 max.

5- Cooling: Liquid or Air (with loads of fans and proper venting)... please comment?

As for the psu , hd, ram, etc... those are easy things to decide. forget them. Ram will be ddr2, psu will be 650w or greater as per requirement.

runswindows95

Distinguished
For 1600X1200, SLI and Crossfire will be a waste. If I was going to build now, and since you mentioned multitasking, this is what I would build:

q6600
An Asus or Gigabyte P45 mobo
ATI 4870
8GB of low latency DDR-2 PC6400 RAM
64-bit Vista Home Premium

+1 to dirtmountain's advice.
I'd also add, please use a Antec 300/900 or Cooler Master 690 case for starters. They are around $50-100.
Corsair 650tx or 750tx $73-84 depending on which you get, but I'd suggest the 750tx, since its a very good buy and will last you for years!!
DDR2 800mHz will work for 99% of OC's, but if you go extreme than go with 1066mHz DDR2. I'd also go with at least 4gb's of DDR2 and definately use Vista premium 64bit, so you can take full advantage of the 4gb's for DDR2!!