WD SATA II 160 gb hardrive
Liteon DVD drive SATA
Corsair 750W PSU 60A Rail for GPU
EVGA 9600GT
Antec 300 Case Plenty of Airflow
Vista 64 sp1 home premium

My Problem:
Assembled 02/02/2009
Powered up, loaded vista 64, loaded MB Drivers, loaded GPU drivers, ran windows update. Set up BIOS to normal standards not oc'ing. Started getting strange video problems and instability. Random BSOD, think i saw something about memory dump. Comp restarted on its own. No post on restart. Powered down made sure GPU is seated properly, checked all connections AGAIN. Powered up, no post. Tried several more times to power up and same result. All fans turning including fan on GPU. Mouse lights come on, keyboard lights flash then go off no signal to screen. Complained to my wife, drank coffee, went back powered up and got a post. Checked bios to make sure RAM voltage was correct and boot sequence was correct, etc. Random BSOD again. Took out extra stick of RAM powered up and got post, and windows loaded. Powered down again, restart good post good windows load. Added extra stick of RAM back, powered up no post, no signal to monitor. Powered down took out extra stick good post, good win. load. Powered down took out all ram and put the suspected "bad" stick in first slot alone powered up, no post, no signal to monitor. Now with the "good" stick of memory in alone i get no post, tried all slots and nothing. Wondering if i should have plastic or rubber spacers on underside of board between case posts and MB. Wrote Gigabyte and haven't heard back yet. Can't reset CMOS because i can't get the battery out. Strangest battery config. i've ever seen. Any help would be great. If you need more info please write me.

More about : question

a c 435 V Motherboard
February 5, 2009 3:35:33 PM

I would look for a standoff that's loose or out of position under the board. They should all line up with the motherboard holes. Any extras that don't line up need to be removed. Also be sure the backplate is flush with the case, and bend any extra metal overhang on the backplate up so it doesn't interfere with any connections.
February 6, 2009 1:13:01 AM

o1die said:
I would look for a standoff that's loose or out of position under the board. They should all line up with the motherboard holes. Any extras that don't line up need to be removed. Also be sure the backplate is flush with the case, and bend any extra metal overhang on the backplate up so it doesn't interfere with any connections.

Ok so i removed the board from case and put it on neutral area. Hooked everything up and powerd on. Mouse light on, HD engages, fans turn, all the workings of a computer but no post. Took out all ram and tried again, no post. Unhooked dvd drive, no post. Unhooked HD, no post. My board does not have onboard graphics. I'm wondering if my GPU is the problem. I don't have a pci vid card laying around. Have an agp card but no agp slot on my MB. Would you suggest I try to buy/find a pci card and go from there? Could the hard drive be the problem? Would i get a post with no hardrive attached assuming the GPU was not the problem? Or does no HD=no post any way? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 6, 2009 5:24:17 AM

Does your 9600gt have a power supply lead to connect? Did you try just one stick of memory at a time in each slot? I don't use optical or hardrives for a bare post test. Just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, video, and maybe the keyboard and mouse with the motherboard on a non conductive surface, such as a phonebook or cardboard box.
February 6, 2009 1:01:30 PM

Yes my 9600gt does have a pciE power supply directly to the card. My PSU has 4 PciE leads and i tried all of them. i tried with one stick of mem, no sticks of mem. with optical and HD and also without optical and HD. Board was on non conductive suface. The fan on the card spins but no signal gets to the monitor. Either the card is bad or the slot is bad. Or maybe the MB is bad. ARGH! Also yes i tred one stick of memory in every slot. The computer was working for about 3 hours right after i built it. Loaded vista and all drivers, shut down at bed time, next morning no post. I don't understand how it could go from working to not after 7 hours of sitting overnight. P.S. with the board out i did get the battery out and cleared the CMOS. Still nothing....running out of ideas.
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 7, 2009 12:28:33 AM

Quote:
Wondering if i should have plastic or rubber spacers on underside of board between case posts and MB

Note the radial solder pads surrounding the hole on both side of the MOBO - these are for good contact with the standoffs, thery'e integral to the grounding system... Try it with nothing but CPU, GPU, DVD, and one stick (each stick, individually) of ram - dl a bootable ISO of MemTest86+ and run it, at least overnight (I always let it go for twenty-four hours), on each stick... Does your BIOS have a setting for 'initialize' GPU slot? If so, make sure that's set correctly. Mine uses inscrutable terminology to select the start-up GPU, but if it's wrong, it just won't display the BIOS! This may seem tedious, but will ensure the capability of each stick - I bought six sticks of G.Skill 1066, and 'speed-binned' the best four - took about a week before I even tried to power up w/an OS - now I have a raft of OCZ 1150s that were a good deal, so I intend to set aside another week, jus to sort 'em out...
!