Sign in with
Your question

How to retreive an overwritten excel 2007 doc

Last response: in Windows XP
March 14, 2011 9:07:39 AM

Hi
In trying to 'save as' an excel 2007 doc I was presented with 'this doc already exists do you want to replace it?' Brain and fingers were not coordinated so the result - I have succeeded in overwriting an important doc.

I have spent the last 3.5 hours with a trial version of XLS Regenerator running. It has picked up many old docs but anything post 2003 appears in corrupted gobbledegook.

Can anyone advise me how to pick up my overwritten xls doc or if there is a free trial software (safe & secure) that will regenerate post 2003 docs.

If anyone has the answer please be aware I'm a simple blonde.................so it has to be easy instructions.

Many, many thanks

Antje

March 15, 2011 6:52:34 PM

I thought you already asked this, unless it was another user. You can't recover an over-written file that was saved this way. The XLS Regenerator states it will recover over-written files from "fragments" left on the disk. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me that is very unlikely to get anywhere. If there were temp files that were saved during file creation or for some reason the newly saved file was saved to a different part of the disk, then maybe. You should ask them in what scenarios this would work.

When you edit then save a file, you are chaging it's internal structure, then writing that change to the disk. You are displacing the file contents, not adding on to it or pushing it aside to make for new content.
March 15, 2011 10:05:17 PM

hang-the-9 said:
I thought you already asked this, unless it was another user. You can't recover an over-written file that was saved this way. The XLS Regenerator states it will recover over-written files from "fragments" left on the disk. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me that is very unlikely to get anywhere. If there were temp files that were saved during file creation or for some reason the newly saved file was saved to a different part of the disk, then maybe. You should ask them in what scenarios this would work.

When you edit then save a file, you are chaging it's internal structure, then writing that change to the disk. You are displacing the file contents, not adding on to it or pushing it aside to make for new content.

Hi there

This is the first time I've posted a blog so it was ANO. Thanks for your comment though.
The XLS regenerator trial picked up hundreds of old and, from my recollection overwritten files, and general deleted files................sadly later docs in Excel 2007, as mentioned before, appear in computer speak goobledegook.......so something is definitely there.

My question remains does anyone know of software that will 'regen' 2007 docs. As the new document I saved had very little on it compared to the overwritten doc I would have thought that there would be some reasonable fragments for piecing together.

Thanks
Antje
!