Q9650 Stable @4ghz, help needed!

HIKER007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Just picked up a new Q9650 chip & would like to know what setting to use to get a really stable overclock of ideally 4ghz or 3.6ghz if not. I have my PC on pretty much 24/7 so needs it to be running smooth.

My specs are:
Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
Corsair 8GB Quad2xDDR2-6400 2.10v 4-4-4-12
Titan Fenrir Cooler

Any help would be greatly apreciated :)

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I suggest you try on your own to overclock and let us know what you changed, meaning the values of everything in bios. And do a bios overclock because it is better then to use 3'rd party programs. Also try to overclock without changing the voltage and see how far it goes. For 24/7 use i think 3.6 GHz is ok, 4 is too much. It consumes a lot more power and you won't benefit from it that much.

HIKER007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Yea thanks guys but i allready G O O G L E'd it, hence asking on a forum, i was just hoping someone had a similiar setup so i could get some basic settings to get me started...not the place to ask i guess judgeing by everyones replys.

We just get soooo many people like yourself who ask the same question, "What settings to use to get my processor to X GHz and be stable"

We cant tell you the settings even if i was using the same mobo, CPU and ram combo, just because certain settings work for me, doesn't mean they will work for you.

jsc gave you a link to a good guide to learn the basics of overclocking on a s775. Then its down to you to find out what works and what doesn't.

My brother asked me "what should I put into the BIOS to set my Q6600 at 3.4ghz stable?"
How I'm I to know that. The answer is I would have to research and spend alot of hours on his PC because hes to lazy to do it himself.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
It's not about that, you should try to find how well your own components work because not all are the same. That means that you could go max to 3.4 GHz when someone else can got to 4 GHz with ease.

When i overclocked my PC for the first time i could get it right to 3.0-3.1 GHz stable but could not get passed that. After a few months i lowered my speed to normal. Then i went to 3.3 but wasn't good in games, i had a little problems and settled for 3.2 for 14 days or something like that. Then i got mad and went to 3.6 done right this time. No problems whatsoever except i lowered the speed to 3.4 because i saw that for my CPU 3.4-3.5 is where you get the most out of overclocking it. The only speed where it would worth the increase in performance would be 4 GHz but i said for daily use i'm ok with 3.4 GHz. (that's only after i checked more forums on how to do it) In the end i posted here my results and everyone said it is ok how it turned out.

I suggest you check on more forums where people overclocked your CPU and find at what speed you get the best results from it without stressing it too much.

Ou...don't do like i did, keep the speed stable all the time.

Also you can post in this thread even if there aren't that much answers but let us see your results and maybe we can help you improve your settings.
Also do as @jsc said and check that link with the guide.

Try to overclock without increasing your voltages first and see how far it goes. I read somewhere that a guy went to 3.6 without increasing the CPU voltage(same CPU that you have).

HIKER007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Okay, checked a few guide on my Mobo and i changed tthe following in my BIOS:
CPU RATIO Auto to x9
FSB Frequency Auto to 400
CPU Voltage Auto to 1.3
Load Line Auto to [ENABLED]
left everything else on auto.
Ran Intel Burn Test (5 runs @ standard stress level) & it passed, max temp on one of the cores was 68C (other 3 67C).
Running Prime now for just over an hour (small fft's) and max temp is 62c 55c 57c 56c. Going to leave it for 24hrs and see how she does. Comments?! :)

LMAO
This should be a sticky.

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Well done. Please also use a program to measure your core voltage in windows and post it as well. Sometimes the auto part gives more then it shows.
Enjoy the test. You can use your PC for almost everything wile the test is running except in applications that stress it much. I would advise you to just leave it alone so that prime can stress those cores at maximum. After this test is done do another one with blend test with prime95, that uses a lot of ram too.

Remember to have 4 threads, but i guess that prime does that for you.
Can you post some pictures with CPU-Z and CPUID hardware Monitor wile testing? :)

HIKER007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for the help guys! Ran Prime95 small FFT's fro 12 hours with 0 errors & 0 warning's, max temps below. Just started again with the Blend test, bit concerned that one core allways runs about 7C hotter than others though...below is details:
Capture2.png

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Usually it is normal to have thermal differences between your CPU cores. But just in case, check the overclocking guide on toms, i think there is a section where it shows you how to spread your thermal paste on the CPU. There is a method for core 2 duo and another for core 2 quad. Also you should check that your cooler is well fixed on to your motherboard.
Also sometimes the cooler can push a little more on one side because it's weight, but that depends oh how you place it on your motherboard. (i don't think it is the problem).
I usually use as thermal grease arctic silver 5.
If all is ok with the mounting and the paste then you should not worry about your cores.
And enjoy..:)

HIKER007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Ill try reseating my cooler and see if it makes a difference, do you think the voltages and temps seem okay? Prime95 Blend test was fine after 11hrs and 15mins... :)