Help! 7800 GT downclocks in 3D!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I downloaded and installed the 178.24 drivers, and ever since, my video card has been acting sluggish. After clearing the drivers, rolling back the system, and checking other drivers, it's still having problems. I ran 3D Mark 2006, and got half the score I used to get when I built the system.

I ran RivaTuner and found out that after 10 seconds of 3d processing (Core 450 Mhz), the card slows back down to it's 2D settings (275 Mhz).

I don't think it's a heat issue (Card doesn't get over 50 Degrees), and it's exactly 10 seconds every time. I think it's something the driver triggered, but I can't rollback before it was installed, and removing, whiping, and reinstalling older drivers (I think 164 I was using) doesn't seem to help.

Is there another driver cleaner I can use to try? Anyone else hear of any issue like this?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I installed the new 178 drivers, and that's when it started. I rolled back to the older drivers, and that didn't fix it. I used driver cleaner and loaded the older drivers, and that still didn't fix it. I am currently back on the 178 drivers.

Ok, I ran some more tests.

Guild wars runs fine, and the card never downclocks. It also never got hotter than 47 C (44 Idle).

Oblivion downclocked once, but I think it was durring the loading screen. It got the card up to 56 or 57, the downclock happened when it was around 52.

3D Mark 06 downclocks 10-15 seconds into the app. It doesn't seem quite consistant other than in the first scene, it's after the interior of the lander at some point. It downclocks before it gets to 50, but gets up to 52.

Mass Effect downclocks pretty quickly into the game, and generates odd artifacts as well as video hickups. Similar heat profile as 3D Mark 06.

I realy don't understand what's triggering the downshift in speed.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
I redid a driver scrub, and loaded the 97 drivers ok. I then loaded the 169 drivers, and they ran ok. Looks like the issue is fixed. Annoying though.