Odd file shows up after reinstallation of XP

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
I just reinstalled XP and a 28 MB file suddenly showed up on my external HDD that was connected. It looks like it's related to Windows Media Player, but Googling it didn't show any info. The file name is d9ac5c5f17bcb0d68f16 2 folders and 102 files, some EXE. I don't think its malware or anything dangerous, but didn't want to delete it if it's important for something I don't know yet. Odd that it endede up on my backup drive.
Any ideas?

Solution
Those come from Windows Update files, although odd that it went to the external drive. If the anti-virus software does not complain about it, those are hamless aside from taking up space. You may get an access denied erro rif you try to delete it also, but they should be save to delete.

The reason a web search did not find any info on the folder name is that a random name gets generated for those folders. At least I think it's a random name, none of the folders I have seen have the same name on different systems.
Those come from Windows Update files, although odd that it went to the external drive. If the anti-virus software does not complain about it, those are hamless aside from taking up space. You may get an access denied erro rif you try to delete it also, but they should be save to delete.

The reason a web search did not find any info on the folder name is that a random name gets generated for those folders. At least I think it's a random name, none of the folders I have seen have the same name on different systems.

Solution

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005

Thanks Hang-the-9
I went ahead and deleted it. Thanks!