Need help finishing computer. Anyone please help!!! Front panel Connec

kimlo

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hey guys, I've recently built my own computer co mpletely on my own (which im proud of :D)
I'm not going to got through specs atm, but it's a very good gaming computer and I've been using it for over one month now and gosh it's awsome.

One thing I couldn't do when ubilding it was front panel audio and usb I had absoultely no idea so i said stuff it, but now I really just wanna install them so my computer feels complete.

What i have done here is basically opened my case grabbed the front panel usb cables (theres 2 parts to that one) and front panel audio cable and wrote down the name for each pin, then I have screenshots of motherboad manual telling which goes where, but the names do not match so i don't have an idea, but I'm assuming smart guys on this forum will know what names mean what and where they match up.

Here's the stuff below!

Front panel audio / usb

AUDI-------------------USB (this one is the two 4 pins and one single pin)----------USB (this one has 7 seperate pins)

Mic -----------------------------(1)+5V------------------------------------------------GROUND
Mic bias-------------------------(1)-D--------------------------------------------------TPA+
Aud Gnd-------------------------(1)+D ------------------------------------------------TPB+
FPOUT-R------------------------(1)GROUND---------------------------------------------+12V
FPOUT-L------------------------(2)+5V-------------------------------------------------TPA-
RET-L---------------------------(2)D ------------------------------------------------TPB-
RET-R---------------------------(2)+D-------------------------------------------------GROUND
---------------------------------(2)GROUND
---------------------------------GROUND (Single pin)

(1) = circle with one in it infront of writing on the 4 pin connenctor
(2) = ^ as above with 2 instead

MOTHERBOARD MANUAL

frontpanel1ht8.jpg

frontpanel2ga7.jpg

frontpanel3fq7.jpg

i would HUGELY appreicate if someone could basically tell me this pin in instructions matches this pin on the name of cables in your case.

I'm using case XG Dragon.

For the power one, firewire one, There is 7 pins, yet mobo has 9 which needs to be plugged.
There is 3 grounds my case has 2 and there is two +12v my mobo has one, how do i know which 12 v pin i dont plug, and which GND pin i dont plug?

also, on the 2nd usb one, there is NC, what is NC? Is NC, just the separate ground pin?
if so all i need to know is what these stand for in relation to my case.

If those could be answered, I'd be sweet for USB front ports.

Then all I need to know is this for front panel audio, basically what my case pins = in relation to the names on mother board manual.

my case =

Mo mobo has 7.1 surround sound, so I'm assuming i use the HD option???????

If so all i need to know is what these means in relation to my case and motherboard manual.
my case = as below ----------------------------------------------- mobo names = as below
Mic----------------------------------------------------------------- MIC2_L
Mic bias------------------------------------------------------------- GND
Aud Gnd--------------------------------------------------------------MIC2_R
FPOUT-R--------------------------------------------------------- | -ACZ_DET
FPOUT-L------------------------------------------------------------ LINE2_R
RET-L---------------------------------------------------------------- GND
RET-R-----------------------------------------------------------------FAUDIO_JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------LINE_2L
-----------------------------------------------------------------------GND

So basically ^^^^^ Which ones equal which? and which pins do i not worry about.

you know, I assume mic = MIC2_R (pin3) and Mic Bias = MIC2_L (pin1)and Aud Gnd = GND (pin2)
then FPOUT-R = Line2_R (pin5) and FPOUT-L = LINE_2L(pin9), would that be right?
and wtf is ret-l and ret-r?

I hope someone can help!

and yes, it has mic and sound in front panel.

bdl211

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, I ran into similar problems when I built my current systems a couple years ago. Seems the cables on the PC case never match up with the pins provided on the mother board. I never resolved the motherboard parts as I was not willing to experiment and risk burning anything up so I took the lazy man's route and found a PCI USB/Firewire card that had internal USB and Firewire connections that mated to the cables provided by the PC case. I never corrected the front audio ports part since that did not really matter to me. The aftermarket PCI USB/Firewire card was a cheap and safe fix. As I recall, I spend less than $20 on the card. A side benefit was I had more external USB 2 and Firewire ports available when done along with the new functions of having USB and Firewire working on the front of the case.

bpogdowz

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
ok all you gotta do is find your USB jumpers on your mobo and attach the USB cables to them matching up the solid pin to missing jumper pin. it only will fit one way. then your mobo manual says which jumper pins are what and the wires to your front panel are printed what they are on the plastic ends. color coding doesn't always work you have to match what says in the mobo manual to what is printed on the plastic ends of the front panel wires. then the same concept with the audio wire and motherboard jumper find it in the manual and it will only fit one way