Keyboard not working cannot login

I was running my system without passwords till date. Today I created password
for my Account and tried to login after restart. But am unable to login since
no input from my keyboard is accepted. That is I cannot enter anything in the
User name place and the entry place for password. The mouse though is working.

The keyboard was working fine before while I was in Desktop (just before I
created my new password). Till today I did'nt realise whether keyboard was
working in login or not since I was not required to type a password during
login.

I tried using another working Keyboard but the problem persist. I also tried
booting in safe mode, to login as default Administrator but could not, since
even the user name is stuck at last login user name (The password created
account also had administrative privilage).

During Bios boot up the keyboard blinks and also in the BIOS setup the
keyboard works. I don't know but doubt whether the window system file takes
over at logon welcome screen stage. If so it might be a case of missing or
corrupt driver or system file, but I am at dead end on how to go about
resolving it.

Please! anyone, any help please.

My OS Win XP (Pro) SP1.
6 answers Last reply
More about keyboard working login

    kallu wrote:
    > I was running my system without passwords till date. Today I created password
    > for my Account and tried to login after restart. But am unable to login since
    > no input from my keyboard is accepted. That is I cannot enter anything in the
    > User name place and the entry place for password. The mouse though is working.
    >
    > The keyboard was working fine before while I was in Desktop (just before I
    > created my new password). Till today I did'nt realise whether keyboard was
    > working in login or not since I was not required to type a password during
    > login.
    >
    > I tried using another working Keyboard but the problem persist. I also tried
    > booting in safe mode, to login as default Administrator but could not, since
    > even the user name is stuck at last login user name (The password created
    > account also had administrative privilage).
    >
    > During Bios boot up the keyboard blinks and also in the BIOS setup the
    > keyboard works. I don't know but doubt whether the window system file takes
    > over at logon welcome screen stage. If so it might be a case of missing or
    > corrupt driver or system file, but I am at dead end on how to go about
    > resolving it.
    >
    > Please! anyone, any help please.
    >
    > My OS Win XP (Pro) SP1.

    Make sure that the cursor is active in the login field by clicking
    in the box.

    gls858

    Cursor blinks in the password box, but I can neither move it nor type in
    anything from my keyboard.

    thanks

    If you're using a USB keyboard try using a standard PS/2 version just incase
    it's a problem with USB drivers.

    "kallu" <kallu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was running my system without passwords till date. Today I created
    >password
    > for my Account and tried to login after restart. But am unable to login
    > since
    > no input from my keyboard is accepted. That is I cannot enter anything in
    > the
    > User name place and the entry place for password. The mouse though is
    > working.
    >
    > The keyboard was working fine before while I was in Desktop (just before I
    > created my new password). Till today I did'nt realise whether keyboard was
    > working in login or not since I was not required to type a password during
    > login.
    >
    > I tried using another working Keyboard but the problem persist. I also
    > tried
    > booting in safe mode, to login as default Administrator but could not,
    > since
    > even the user name is stuck at last login user name (The password created
    > account also had administrative privilage).
    >
    > During Bios boot up the keyboard blinks and also in the BIOS setup the
    > keyboard works. I don't know but doubt whether the window system file
    > takes
    > over at logon welcome screen stage. If so it might be a case of missing or
    > corrupt driver or system file, but I am at dead end on how to go about
    > resolving it.
    >
    > Please! anyone, any help please.
    >
    > My OS Win XP (Pro) SP1.

    My Keyboard is PS\2 and Iam fairly sure it may not be a hardware issue.
    Since the keyboard responses in BIOS setup.

    kallu wrote:

    > Cursor blinks in the password box, but I can neither move it nor type in
    > anything from my keyboard.
    >
    > thanks

    Two things to try:

    As gls858 suggested, use your mouse and click in the password field,
    then try typing.

    If that doesn't work, try clicking OK on the login box - it should come
    back with something along the line of being invalid, and maybe then the
    login box will activate and let you type in it.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    "kallu" wrote:

    >yheea.. I got frustrated, searched all over the net, but could'nt find any solution to the issue. I just reinstalled windows finding no other way and sure all was alright again. As I said before it must not have been a hardware issue, as now after a re-install its working fine.

    However any solution to the issue I faced is welcomed, who knows I may face
    the same issue again in future.

Login Keyboards Windows XP