r_manic

Administrator
This new Corsair RAM with 9-11-9-27 timings...
Intel has certified the Dominator GTX1 at a frequency of 2333MHz, but they are also guaranteed by Corsair to operate at up to 2400MHz at timings of 9-11-9-27 at 1.65V. The modules use Corsair's patented DHX+ technology, which features specially designed heatsinks and a custom-designed PCB that allows both the front and rear of the memory ICs and the printed circuit board itself to be cooled.
...made me wonder, do RAM manufacturers have their own QVLs? Kinda like a list of motherboards that have been tested with the RAM in question?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
none that i have seem, i've only seen the other way around where motherboards state the supported RAM.

Would be nice if the RAM manufacturers did actually test with all possible motherboards but i guess in today's economy, that's an expense they can no longer afford...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Indeed, it's sad too because it's a horrible feeling when someone buys all new parts to build a new rig only to learn that it's the RAM that is holding then back from their hobby, not to mention that it might take hours just to troubleshoot and actually figure out that it is indeed the RAM causing the issue and not other components.

Since Motherboard manufacturers only list some brands/models of RAM on their support list, i believe that RAM manufacturers should do the same, that way anything not listed on the motherboard support list will at least be there on the RAM support list.

In other words, if Corsair & G Skill were my final 2 decisions and G Skill had a support list for motherboards, i would hands down go with G Skill just on principal.

And it would be really helpful if the RAM mfrs. would state the actual memory chip specs (mfr, and chip name) in the specs. for each RAM stock/part number. I like DFI boards, and various memory BIOS settings are optimized for specific memory chips on the RAM. Life is complicated.