The Case of the Vanishing Sata Drives

heavymetalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
The Mystery:

I have a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 motherboard and I've run into a problem. One or more of the three ST3640323AS drives vanish from Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition. These vanishes are usually characterized by a sudden jump in CPU cycles and system pausing before any program running from that device crashes. This is followed by the corresponding drive disappearing from windows.

Notes:
- System restart does not return drives, they are gone in bios.
- System power off and power on always restores drives.
- Have not been able to get drives to vanish in DOS environment during testing.
- Have tried new SATA cables, swapping power cables, etc.
- Have tried swapping SATA ports.
- Motherboard has been RMAed and returned with no problems.

A Clue:

After looking online it seems that people have had issues with the ICH9R chipset from Intel and Windows Vista 64 bit. I have tried using gigabytes pre-install drivers and their drivers after install and they are supposedly vista compatible.

I've also had a friend run one of the failed drives for several complete writes and wipes with no problems.

So I have to assume its a problem between the Sata Drives, the ICH9R Sata Controller, and the Windows Vista 64x drivers.

Does anyone have any clues or should I just light my desktop on fire?

bilbat

Splendid
I have a DS5 (same family - same ICH9R) with 6 drives in three RAID arrays (four VRs in two RAID0s, and a pair RE3s in RAID1), running: VUx86, VUx64, Xpx86, & Xpx64, all without any problems; I suggest you dl the latest drivers directly from Intel & give it another whack...

heavymetalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008

I've just tried the official ICH9R drivers from Intel during install. Still the same issue, in fact install fails after about 20% when the drive(s) drop out. I am going to check my power supply today, though it seems strange that every other component is working fine.

heavymetalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
Thought I would add in for others who are having SATA problems some links that I had trouble finding:

Intel ICH9R Driver:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+64&lang=eng&strOSs=150&submit=Go!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Firmware:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207957

I've tried both of these but who knows others may have more luck.

bilbat

Splendid
Had a random thought: are you powering the drives from a PSU with native sata power plugs, or are you using molex to sata adaptors? Bought a small pile of those the other day, & had 2 bad ones out of five or six - and both were intermittents, seemed to drop out when connector was stressed a certain direction, hard to find...