gratts99

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
So heres what i think im going to order..

Intel Core Intel_Core_2 Quad Q9550
Asus P5Q deluxe ATX
ATI Radeon HD 4870
Corsair XMS2 DHZ 4GB DDR2-800
Coolermaster CM 690 Mid tower ATX case
Corsair TX750W ATX
Seagate Barracuda 500gb sata 2 3bg/s 7200rpm

Any thoughts? SHould i get extra cooling?

I orginally posted a question in the motherboard section and updated my build there, i apologize for the double post as it should of went in this section.

you can put four 140mm fans to that case for better airflow

two on the side pannel

two on the top pannel

move the 120mm fan from the side that came with case and mount in the on the bottom

I would also get aftermarket heatsink and overclock that cpu :)

I would dump the P5Q Deluxe and get a P5E Deluxe instead, or a GA-X48-DS4. The difference is that with a P5Q you will get bottlenecks when/if you add a second video card, while with the P5E or other X48-based motherboards you're OK.

The HDD can also be improved. Get one of the 640GB versions from either Seagate or WD, they're faster and I think you get better price/GB too.

The rest is very nice. :)

Edit: you don't need extra cooling IMO, unless you overclock the CPU or add a second video card. If you want more fans, do what alvine said, or get some nice quiet SFF21E 120 mm fans.

You have a good list there.

However, I think you might regret ordering today. If early info is true, the new i7 quads will be very much better than the Q9550 at the >$300 price point.

November is supposed to be the launch date. If you can wait, do so. If the new stuff is really good, then you might want a i7, or you should be able to get a Q9550 for much less.

If you wait, try to follow DDR3 prices a bit, because the i7 quads will require DDR3. Some people say DDR3 will become more expensive once the i7 is out due to increased demand. Others say it will become less expensive due to increased volume. LOL, it's hard to predict. Anyway, if you see it going up then stop waiting and get the Q9550 with DDR2.

BTW, if you wait for the CPU, wait for the cooler too. The new CPUs will be wider than the current ones.