Increasing FSB but keeping stock speed?

Tyrannosaur25

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
based on the research i did, FSB is multiplied by 4. so my CPU's FSB is 1066MHz rated, which is 266.66 effective.

i have DDR2 800 RAM which, is supposed to be 400MHz effective.

from what i understand, this would mean that my RAM is 133.33MHz faster than what my CPU FSB is, which technically creates a bottleneck on the FSB.

my motherboard has the ability to overclock CPU FSB without the RAM overclocking, i can also change my CPU multiplier.

i have the Intel C2D E7400 which is 1066 FSB with a multiplier of 10.5 at 2.8GHz, all stock.

would i be able to up the FSB but reduce the multiplier to get closer to a 1-1 ratio on my FSB without needing to increase other stuff like voltages?

ideally id want to go to, say 1400 FSB, and change the multiplier to 8, which would also be 2.8GHz (350MHz times 8, but at a much higher FSB. would this be doable or would other issues arise?

i would think no, but i dont know enough about overclocking to know and i dont want to test something like this in case something fries.

feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

This is the old overclockers secret from years gone by when we were stuck at very low bus speeds. Raising the bus and lowering the multiplier gave you huge performance increases over just raising the multiplier alone.
However, todays quad pumped FSB's don't benefit nearly as much. You will see a performance increase in benchmarks, but it will be very marginal. Today it is more effective to raise the CPU speed, as the bus speeds may appear to be a bottleneck just looking at the numbers, but actually they are not. But your theory is sound. Try it and see, I think you will find that you really don't gain a lot, maybe a few points in benchmarks, but nothing you will really notice in everyday use.

No, if you are overclocking frequency beyond factory, then original/default voltages will not work. Especially 266MHz to 400MHz, that is not a small jump, it is 150%. You will need to boost the CPU FSB Term Voltage.

You said 350MHz, but then 'at a much higher FSB'?

Depends what memory multipliers you have available, but generally CPU FSB 333 MHz or 400MHz is best. Whichever setting you can make stable, you can also run the RAM at DDR2-800 as intended.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT