Sign in with
Your question

How do i remove write protection from my external hardrive

Last response: in Storage
March 13, 2010 2:42:00 PM

Hello,
hi, does anyone know how to remove write-protection from my wd passport hardrive. thanks
a b G Storage
March 23, 2010 1:27:20 PM

The solution is to disable write caching on the usb hdd in device manager.

You can choose in the disk properties for optimize for quick removal or optimize for performance. CHOOSE optimize for quick removal.

Backup the files and try reformatting it with NTFS with the disk manager of your operating system.
March 23, 2010 5:25:25 PM

thanks for your reply. because i didn`t know how to do it, i moved all my movies,music,etc, from my external harddrive, to my laptop harddrive and then formatted my external hardrive. it was the only thing i could think of. it took me hours and hours to do it this way. but if it happens again i will do it your way as that seems a better and quicker way. thanks again for your reply.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 9, 2011 12:16:07 PM

evongugg said:
The solution is to disable write caching on the usb hdd in device manager.

You can choose in the disk properties for optimize for quick removal or optimize for performance. CHOOSE optimize for quick removal.

Backup the files and try reformatting it with NTFS with the disk manager of your operating system.

Im having the same problem,. when ever I tried to initialized disk at computer management, it always says that the disk is write protected. I can not format it. I can not open it or I can not do anything to it. I try what you have said here but I can not find that write caching in the usb hdd device manager? please give me some help too.. thankz
!