Oct 8, 2008
Ok, so there's a story here. Essentially, I bought a computer with these specs:

■Motherboard: MSI K9N Diamond
■Processor: AMD x2 6000+
■RAM: Kingston 2GB DDR2 (667MHz)
■Video card: Dual MSI GeForce 8600 GT in SLI
■PSU: Antec Basiq 500w
■Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB

Then the video stopped working for both PCI-E slots and both video cards. Switching out to make every combination of single and dual cards in each slot, I gave up and admitted defeat. I RMA'd the motherboard.

I got the motherboard back, and had since upgraded these parts to eliminate them as possible issues:

■MSI GeForce 8600 GT cards to single XFX GeForce 9800 GTX
■Kingston DDR2 667MHz to OCZ DDR2-800
■Antec Basiq 500w to AcePower 580w

Everything else stayed the same. The rig worked for two weeks and then I got the same issue - no video in either PCI-E slots. So I RMA'd the motherboard, and asked that they replaced the board.

They did. I made sure of it by marking the original. The one I got back didn't have the mark, so I know it's a different motherboard.

Same video issue. I turned it on once, it POSTed, and I was able to get into the BIOS. After fixing some BIOS settings, it restarted, and no video, no POST, no nothing. Fans turn on, the video card power light turns on and that's about it.

And that's where I sit right now. Extremely angry and frustrated, trying to figure out what part could be causing this. The only things that I haven't changed are the case, processor, hard drive, and DVD burner.

SO, MY QUESTION:
Could the issue be the processor? What should the next step be in getting this thing working again and for good?

radium-v

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I would update the BIOS if I had a system that would be able to show video. Or if the system were able to POST in the first place.

radium-v

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008

The video card is powered correctly (which is why I also upgraded the psu when I did), but this issue happened once before I had the 9800GTX and I was using the 8600 GT cards, neither of which required extra power. I'm not sure, but I think that counts out the video card.

And when I got the motherboard back from the first RMA, it worked for two weeks with the 9800GTX before failing to POST.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

so what you are telling me is the he acer 580 with 35 amp on the 12 volt should be ok.

the he acer 580 is a $50.00 psu and it should be ok. no

he 580 psu at least tier 5 or even 6 tier psu.
most people over look psu on pc/

if you over look psu it's a mistake.

no beep,no video it could be psu.

My first thought as well is the quality of the power supply. I don;t think I;ve even heard of that brand. Why spend a couple hundred on several video cards and go cheap on the ps?

radium-v

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Current PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339006

The power requirements for the 9800 GTX:
450W PCI Express®-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 24A or more

This PSU has the requirements, and considering I replaced the PSU since the first build and I had the same error with a 8600GT and the 500w PSU (which requires much less power), I feel it is probably something else.

I'll take the PSU to the local computer shop and have it tested. Hopefully it's not that.

(This is the 8600 GT I had http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136&prod_no=1195)

radium-v

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Got the PSU tested, it works perfectly. Only problem is that the PC won't even turn on when I press the power button. I talked with the techs at the shop, and they feel it's the processor. So do the Tech Support guys at MSI.

I figure I can get an AMD x2 5000+ Brisbane and test it out, and return it within 7 days if it doesn't work for me. If it does, then it solves my issue. If not, then it's back to the drawing board?