Upgrade time, kind of...

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
A blown transmission in my car has essentially wiped out my new build budget, so am taking another look at my current computer, revisisting some limitations I have encountered, and seeing what I can do with a much smaller upgrade budget. I am finally sending in my blown XFX 4870x2 in hopes of getting a 5850 in return. If they end up scrounging up another 4870x2, I will probably sell it and my current card and put that cash towards a new GPU. My budget is now looking to be about $300CAD + what I can sell current parts for.

Currently:
Phenom II 710 x3 (successfully unlocked and passed limited stress testing at stock speeds on another mobo)
Gigabyte 780g DDR2 x16/x4 motherboard
Sapphire 4870 512mb
4gb OCZ Gold XTC 1066mhz (5-6-6-18)
Seasonic 650HT PSU

Stable max OC is currently 3.55ghz on the CPU, limited by the memory. I cannot run the ram lower than 4.00x during OC, refuses to boot, regardless of timings or voltages, so have been limited to it's top end, which seems to be just under 1100mhz. The CPU is also fairly leaky, needing 1.5v to stabilize at those speeds. The HSF has been more than up to the task, mind you, and hasn't broken 50c under p95 at those clocks.

For similar prices, I could either get a 720BE (wish the 740 was reality, but oh well) or 1200mhz ram. Or i could spend even more, and get a BE x4 of some sort.

IF I can unlock my 710 x3 into a x4 on a new motherboard, AND maintain a stable OC of +3.4ghz (my current daily OC @ 1.4v), I may put the remainder of my budget into graphics. Now I have to consider crossfire and x8/x8 or x16/x16 variations of motherboards, although I have always leaned towards single card solutions. This option might give me more graphics power, but would limit me to my DDR2 and non-BE chip.

I can increase my budget by how much the sale of replaced parts will net me. I can sell my CPU + memory + Mobo to a friend who offered $150, but he needs all of it. A decent deal for both of us, knowing full well the OC history of the parts. I sold my second 710x3 a few days before my transmission died, if I hadn't of, this would have been a no brainer.

Do I get a new DDR2 Mobo, (hopefully) unlock/overclock my current chip, and perhaps look at more graphics (Upgrade or CF)?
Do I get a new DDR3 mobo, CPU, Memory and stick with whatever GPU I can obtain through XFX or reselling?

I don't really plan on upgrading for quite some time after this (2years probably), so I see the new CPU/Mobo/DDR3 route as very enticing route to go, especially with a USB 3.0/Sata 6gb motherboard. But, theoretically, if I were to stick with a DDR2 motherboard, I may be able to squeeze CF5850 into the budget.

I am perplexed. o.0

Unlocking cores is really hit or miss, so in that regard investing in a new board may not pay off. Still, if you got it unlocked and stable on a friends board you should be able to do the same on a board with the SB750 and the old SB micro code to allow for this. So as far as overclocking, you're saying that your setup will not boot with a memory multiplier lower than 4x (DDR2 800). Could be the board, or could be the RAM being difficult. Have you tried lowering the HT link multiplier and slightly raising the voltage of the memory controller (may show up as CPU NB in the BIOS overclocking settings) for stability?

Anyway, if it's a good buddy then sell it to him and get a new DDR3 setup. It's likely that AMD will drop support for AM2+ motherboards with their next generation of CPUs (axing DDR2 support from the memory controller) so that should give you a bit more upgrading room CPU wise. Well that's assuming you get a good board that gets BIOS updates anyway ^_^.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
I was only able to maintain stability at 3.55 with a +.2v increase to the NB voltage. My HT link is currently set at x7 (for about 1940mhz effective) and the NB at x8 (for 2200ish). I have tried 3.33 with a variety of NB and HT settings, as well as with loosened timings, to no avail. It refuses to boot at anything but stock FSB at 3.33x. I am not sure if it is the mobo or the memory, just decided to stick with working around 4.00x.

I guess I am concerned that if I am limited to 3.4ghz x4 on a new ddr2 board, I may be limiting the cost effectiveness of going with extra graphics oomph. But since my rig is 95% for gaming, the graphics option is very enticing, thus my indecision. Would I enjoy a 710x4 @ 3.4ghz + CF5850 more than a 9xx BE @ 3.8-4.2ghz + DDR3 with a single 5850 or 5870? I can't see the future, dammit, heh.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Shameless bump, I am a day or two from ordering parts, and still split on the decision. I asked my wife what she thought, and her response was that as long as she can still play her sims3, she doesn't care. *sigh* Just looking for some fresh opinions and viewpoints to help me figure out where I should go with this, heh.

W Craven

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I have not seen yet were a quad core was needed myself other then afew games or crossfire/sli setups.. even Dirt 2 recommends a quad core for the cpu but i had no issues at 5760 x 1080 in eyefinity useing a e5200 clocked at 3.9Ghz paired with a 5850.. even at 1920 x1080 the e5200 can handled alot even in DX 11 ..I now have a q6700 under the hood running at 3.4Ghz and it has done notting for me because i am gpu limited.