major help with drive transfer

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Hello friends, today i had to swap motherboards from one machine to the next, i have put windows on a new hard drive with the intention of just dragging the files(music,pics, etc) to the new drive. Both drives have windows installed but the ools one keeps denying my access to my daughters files, which is about 12gb music and a 100 or so pics, ive tried everything i know to get those files over to no avail. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Just to be clear i have xp on a new drive, her old drive was set up as a slave, but it keeps denying me to option of opening her files and copying them to the new hard drive.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i never put too much effort into finding out how to get around that, but i've had great success just booting into an ubuntu live cd and moving files around through there.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I actually have a knoppix cd, its like 4 years old but im gonna give it a shot, there is nothing worse than hving to deal with a teenage daughter who lost her music,lol. Thanks for your help and i will let yo know how it turns out.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Cant say much for knoppix, but ubuntu is so incredibly kickass, its unbelievable. I like it so much i may install it on another computer, is so clean and fast.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

I'm a big fan of Linux myself and have found that Ubuntu is one of the nicer distro's out there. It's nice to have an OS that isn't full of unnecessary bloatware like any version of Windows.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

LOL, try moving a hard drive with a password to another computer to copy the files, then you will see,believe me i tried for hours, when it was all sid nd done the ubutu(god i love that interface) had all my princess's files unto the new hard drive in thirty minutes.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
You can try duplicating her account on the new machine. Setup an account with the same name / password as the previous and see if you can then access the files. If so just drag them to a new location then.

reconviperone, using Windows is easy for people who are familiar with it. You found Ubuntu easy because you're familiar with it and you already had a copy, but for the average user, having to download Ubuntu, etc. isn't always the optimal solution.

Glad to know your daughter is happy to have her files back. Mine would be very upset if her files were lost, but fortunately she also keeps a copy on the file server.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

I tried duplicating her account and i was set up as the administrator, thing is i must've been doing something wrong because those babies wouldnt cop, in the end ubuntu was just easier,the file server idea is cool, but my daughter lives in another home and the external i gave her the last time she mucked up her system had 1 year old files on, i think i put a scare in her this time so she will backup,lol

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
On another note, im pretty famaliar with windows xp and 2000(vista is still a pain for me), yesterday was my first time using ubuntu, thats how awesome it is.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I wasn't impressed with Ubuntu, couldn't even get it to set up a basic file server with xp, even with all the editing config files etc. Now my file server uses xp, no probs up and running in minutes

multiplexed

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Just for searchability if someone else has the same problem ...

Aside from taking ownership, there is a command line tool called "cacls.exe" that you can use to reset permissions. Actually theres a new version, maybe called dacls or something. Anyway, the first step is to strip off all permissions, then run it a second time to add full control permissions to the admin account. After that point, you should be able to access your files.

If you don't like linux, there is the winPE envrionment, UBCD4Win, or BartPE. They are similar to Linux LiveCD's, except they're windows based.

I'm not sure if this would work, but adding the old drive to the new system, then going to disk management, then right click the old drive and select "import foreign disk", then right click again and select "rescan drives." Again, not sure that would work, but if someone else has the same problem, it's something to try.