XFX 9800 GT doesn't fit, need recommendations...

matt1011

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I recently purchased an XFX 9800GT for my HP m8300f desktop computer and found that the only way to fit the video card is to remove the TV Tuner card that sits adjacent to it in a PCI-E x1 slot. The clearance between them with both installed is about the width of two sheets of paper to give you an idea. This wouldn't be a big deal but my computer only has one PCI-E x16 and one PCI-E x1 slot which limits my options. Basically, I can buy a new TV Tuner card that uses a PCI slot (I really like the one that it came with) or find a video card with a slimmer profile so I car run both. Is it even possible to have a decent video card that only needs a single slot for fitment/cooling? I'm pretty happy with the XFX 9800 GT's performance and I'm looking to spend less then $175 if possible. Any recommendations?

Specs on the system are:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3 GHz);
RAM: 3 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Power Supply: Corsair 450 Watt
Windows Vista

matt1011

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Thanks for the replies, the single slot 4850 looks like it might fit the bill. Here is the XFX 9800 GT I bought. You can see on the side view of the XFX that the heatsink sticks out just slightly compared to the HIS card you linked to. Hopefully this will provide the clearance I need. I fit a BFG 9400 GT in the system just fine but the card absolutely sucked. All of this trouble just so I can play Oblivion on the high settings at 1680x1050 :pfff:.

TRENDING THREADS