How do I figure out my power supply W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flugie62

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Trying to figure out what my computers power is in watts, looking to get a new video card and need to make sure it is over 400W. Any way to just use the computer information to figure that out? Or some other way to figure it out? Yes i'm sure this sounds stupid, but I don't know where to check to figure that out.

Depends on your Power Supply and the case of your computer. You may need to open your case and look at the power supply to find the manufacturer's label. This will give the maximum output Watts.

Sometimes, this could also be visible on the backside where you plug the power cord into your computer. Depends on where they put the sticker. ;)

Keep in mind, if your PSU is exactly 400W, but is say like 2-3 years old, it may not actually output 400W anymore. Over time their maximum output slowly decreases.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
power supplies can't communicate with the computer, so you can't find anything out about its specs without looking at the sticker on the side of the unit. that's the only way, unless you know the exact model of it so you can google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.