Sign in with
Your question

new system problems.

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2008 3:28:39 AM

Hi.

First of all, if a topic like this already exsists I am sorry but I need an answer ASAP.

I built this new system myself, and it gives me hard time since the first time I ran it.

these are the specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.7GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan
Thermaltake toughpower W0117RU ATX12V / EPS12V 750W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CE, CB, TUV, FCC, UL, CUL, and BSMI certified
ASUS EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Maxtor MaXLine Pro 500 7H500F0 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T
ASUS Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
Thermaltake Hardcano 12 SE
Sony 1.44mb Floppy

problem started when I tried to installing Windows XP Pro 32bit on it, the computer does one of the following.

I got this nice love letter:

Quote:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: acpi.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.
Disable BIOS memory options such as chaching or shadowing.
If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable componentes, restart your computer press F8 to select Adcanved Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8f3e3354, 0x00000001, 0xf73d7ee4, 0x00000000)

*** acpi.sys - address f73d7ee4 base at f73c7000, SateStamp 3b7d8550

I asked around and was told to take out 2 of the 4 memory sticks and the sound card.
Doing this allowed me to install the Windows without any problems.
so with this the issue above was solved.

Now problem returns when I try replasing the rest of the hardware back.

after "google(ing)" my eyes out, I found out that I need to update the MOBO's BIOS so it will support my X-FI Elite.
My current MOBO BIOS version is 0302, there are 5 additional updates for it.

Should I get all of them, or only the one that enhances compatibility with Creative X-FI Sound Card?

I was also told to up the memory voltage from 1.8V to 2.1V and northbridge voltage (≈1.55V).
problem is I only have 2 options in BIOS 1.8V and ignore.

How can I solve this?

I know that installing a 32bit OS on 4gig memory is useless, but I want to solve this problem non the less so I can get rid of my old computer.

Thanks.

More about : system problems

October 9, 2008 3:52:46 AM

man first i feel for you man i know it is tough taking all that time to fix something like that

i would say just leave it at 1.8v surely that is enough.

as to the bios if you are going to update it i would say you might as well update it all the way. if you don't want to spend the time just figure out what they do if they are for things that are irrelevant to you then just leave them, but if they are close to germane then i would go ahead.

hope this helps and good luck
October 9, 2008 4:09:28 AM

As far as the RAM is concerned I would set the voltage to the manufactuers
specs, which I am sure you can get from there site.

As far as the bios goes, I personally would get the latest update, and the latest drivers for other hardware.

Did you run memtest on your ram? Are you positive all sicks are good?

Hope this helps, good luck.
Related resources
October 9, 2008 4:56:26 AM

yep, sounds like you may have a ram stick failure. put one stick and try to boot. try the other stick by itself. memtest is a good test as well. I work with a lot of different ram and I don't think I've seen any that won't boot at 1.8V.

I think I've got that ram at 1.8v in my wifes pc. She has a AMD board, i think its an Alive 6150se board which also has limited options regarding memory voltages and such.
Not too familiar with that mobo, but I have heard some newer dual core processors do need a bios update. I would just dl and install the latest bios available, they usually include all previous updates.

Beware though, I have had problems with some ASUS bios updates. Check the asus forums to see which bios people are having the best luck with and choose wisely. It is EXTREMELY hard to roll asus bios updates backwards, I was stuck with an awful bios that I hated and couldn't roll back. I ended up waiting until a newer bios came out, 6 months later. Again, I say beware.
October 9, 2008 5:23:06 AM

^
agree about the ram, I haven't seen ram not boot @ 1.8v even if it specs to 2.0-.1; having said that you should be able to type in the voltages directly...
October 9, 2008 5:31:13 AM

Well, ACPI.sys is for the ACPI functions of the motherboard. Could be a motherboard driver, but I'm thinking it's a RAM problem. Download memtest and test your RAM. Just google memtest and follow the instructions. If you have an Ubuntu or SuSE Linux CD somewhere it will have Memtest on it.
October 9, 2008 5:32:50 AM

By the way make sure to dissable the onboard sound if you have the Xi-Fi card in there since creative cards don't always play nice with other sound cards ^_^.
October 9, 2008 11:29:08 AM

The RAM is working fine.
I played with them all replacing each in a different slot.
also the BIOS memory test run and BIOS itself recognize 4 gigs of ram when PC starts.
the problem is with the motherboard NOT with the memory.

I read many complaints about these series of MOBOS having problems to run with 4 memory sticks, but couldnt find any good solution.

The so onboard sound card is removable, well in my case I just never pluged it in.
The onboard sound is set on auto, but since the card is not there, there shouldnt be any problems with that.

As for BIOS... I really REALLY hate playing with these updates!
I dont really believe that each of the newer update has the previous updates because they all weight around 800kb...

I guess I will crash ASUS forums as well.
October 9, 2008 4:27:26 PM

The RAM is working fine.
I played with them all replacing each in a different slot.
also the BIOS memory test run and BIOS itself recognize 4 gigs of ram when PC starts.
the problem is with the motherboard NOT with the memory.

I read many complaints about these series of MOBOS having problems to run with 4 memory sticks, but couldnt find any good solution.

The so onboard sound card is removable, well in my case I just never pluged it in.
The onboard sound is set on auto, but since the card is not there, there shouldnt be any problems with that.

As for BIOS... I really REALLY hate playing with these updates!
I dont really believe that each of the newer update has the previous updates because they all weight around 800kb...

I guess I will crash ASUS forums as well.

*************EDIT***********

Great.....

I just updated ti 1104, now the computer won't even start!
it just turns on, doesn't beep, doesn't load even the monitor doesn't turns on.
October 9, 2008 8:47:04 PM

problem solved.

everything works perfectly now.

thank you all.
!