MYoung09

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm doing something similar right now. Are you still running with that configuration? If so, have you had any problems? I think the NetVista systems I have running with a Radeon X1650 are that same model. They have 185W PSUs with 10A on the +12V rail. I measured AC input Watts on a full load using a Kill A Watt and peak is around 150W. The system also has a 0.5A on +12V rail HDD and a 2A on +12V rail DVD-ROM drive. Assuming the PSU is 80% efficient, which probably is generous, that makes for 120W output from the PSU. Not all the power is being used by the +12V rail. Memory, USB, keyboard, mouse, and some of the mainboard are powered on the +3.3V and +5V rails. Even with the assumption that all 120W was being used by the 12V rail, that's 10A (120W/12V=10A). It's true that I'm pretty much on the edge and was still thinking of upgrading my PSUs, though they appear to be micro ATX or even something custom-sized. I'm somewhat inclined to just go with the stock PSUs until I get any signs of instability. So far I haven't had any crashes, reboots, or any other glitches.

Ok and im assuming the OP is talking about the same card ? Just had visions of it turning out to be the XT which would be a big No No on that PSU.

As MYoung09 say's technically on the math which looks spot on to me by the way, about 120 at peak sounds about right so its just on which is not good practice :??:
Having said that i ran a X1650XT on a single 18 Amp rail PSU for a couple of years and everyone said i was either mental or just plain didnt beleive me :ouch:
Personally i wouldnt recomend it.

Mactronix