Q6600 temp on first boot

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I just finished building my first pc an on first boot the core temps are showing as 51, 48, 39, 38. I applied thermal grease and the heatsink that came with it. Are these temps okay for a first boot? I was expecting them to be a little lower.

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I am only running Firefox at the time. I did read that temps will vary until the thermal grease sets in. Could that be a probable cause? Thanks for the reply, by the way.

You really haven't given enough information to truly advise where your temps should be.

The type of thermal grease can affect ultimate temps, some of them like Arctic Silver 5 need time to set up.

Also, the airflow through your case, and the heatsink on your CPU make a huge difference.

If you're using the STOCK Intel heatsink that came with the CPU, I'd say you're normal.

The 51,48 numbers suggest that Core 0 and Core 1 are being used. The 39,38 temps suggest Core 2 and Core 3 are sitting at idle. With 39/38 as idle temps I'd say you're doing okay if you're using a stock heat sink. Good aftermarket heatsinks should get you lower than that with stock speed/voltage settings on the Q6600.

Veesofnaught

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
As I have used it more the temperatures have dropped to 46, 45, 37, 37. I think it is probably just a first use issue. Thanks for your suggestions, though.