Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 temp on first boot

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2009 9:19:30 PM

I just finished building my first pc an on first boot the core temps are showing as 51, 48, 39, 38. I applied thermal grease and the heatsink that came with it. Are these temps okay for a first boot? I was expecting them to be a little lower.

More about : q6600 temp boot

January 2, 2009 9:24:41 PM

they are ok if the the cores are loaded or in use the 51c seems that you are running a heavy application imo
January 2, 2009 9:29:53 PM

I am only running Firefox at the time. I did read that temps will vary until the thermal grease sets in. Could that be a probable cause? Thanks for the reply, by the way.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2009 9:41:35 PM

You really haven't given enough information to truly advise where your temps should be.

The type of thermal grease can affect ultimate temps, some of them like Arctic Silver 5 need time to set up.

Also, the airflow through your case, and the heatsink on your CPU make a huge difference.

If you're using the STOCK Intel heatsink that came with the CPU, I'd say you're normal.

The 51,48 numbers suggest that Core 0 and Core 1 are being used. The 39,38 temps suggest Core 2 and Core 3 are sitting at idle. With 39/38 as idle temps I'd say you're doing okay if you're using a stock heat sink. Good aftermarket heatsinks should get you lower than that with stock speed/voltage settings on the Q6600.
January 2, 2009 10:42:03 PM

As I have used it more the temperatures have dropped to 46, 45, 37, 37. I think it is probably just a first use issue. Thanks for your suggestions, though.
!