TKM needs help

Last response: in Video Games
April 30, 2005 1:57:47 AM

Is soloing creatures for xp over? Is it possible to hunt on your own
without huurtons or quenkers kicking your ass?

Before CU, I would log in, grab some buffs, drink some Brandy, put on my
comp armor and equip my VK, then head out and hunt.

After CU, what is the procedure? What the hell do I do?

More about : tkm

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 2:47:33 AM

"Dave King" <dking21@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is soloing creatures for xp over? Is it possible to hunt on your own
> without huurtons or quenkers kicking your ass?
>
> Before CU, I would log in, grab some buffs, drink some Brandy, put on my
> comp armor and equip my VK, then head out and hunt.
>
> After CU, what is the procedure? What the hell do I do?
>
> Find a new game...
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 5:33:50 AM

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:57:47 GMT, "Dave King" <dking21@austin.rr.com>
wrote:

>Is soloing creatures for xp over? Is it possible to hunt on your own
>without huurtons or quenkers kicking your ass?
>
>Before CU, I would log in, grab some buffs, drink some Brandy, put on my
>comp armor and equip my VK, then head out and hunt.
>
>After CU, what is the procedure? What the hell do I do?

You can pick spawns to your liking from the mission terminals.
April 30, 2005 9:24:37 PM

Well, you can do what I did....bleed....alot...then die...alot...

Seriously, the days of the solo or casual player are pretty much done for
this game too I think. It follows much the way EQ went, with a whimper, not
a bang.

"Dave King" <dking21@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is soloing creatures for xp over? Is it possible to hunt on your own
> without huurtons or quenkers kicking your ass?
>
> Before CU, I would log in, grab some buffs, drink some Brandy, put on my
> comp armor and equip my VK, then head out and hunt.
>
> After CU, what is the procedure? What the hell do I do?

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:47:01 PM

Man I feel like I am really in the minority on the CU. I am enjoying
myself quite a bit.
If you solo carefully and only agro 1 at a time you should be fine. I
am combat level 69 taking on combat level 69 mobs and getting about 5k
xp per kill. The mission payouts have increased to boot.

Master Commando
Carbineer/Combat Medic
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:12:37 PM

Where would that be? So far I have only been able to find solo mobs that
aren't worth the xp or large grouped mobs that I can't handle. This is with
both a level 38 BH and a level 80 swordsman/tkm. Would love to know where
the good solo mobs are now.

<cdayag@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Man I feel like I am really in the minority on the CU. I am enjoying
> myself quite a bit.
> If you solo carefully and only agro 1 at a time you should be fine. I
> am combat level 69 taking on combat level 69 mobs and getting about 5k
> xp per kill. The mission payouts have increased to boot.
>
> Master Commando
> Carbineer/Combat Medic

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:30:26 PM

Haven't found em either. I have resigned myself to JTL until my scrip runs
out, then IM done.

"Haqsau" <haqsauNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where would that be? So far I have only been able to find solo mobs that
> aren't worth the xp or large grouped mobs that I can't handle. This is
> with both a level 38 BH and a level 80 swordsman/tkm. Would love to know
> where the good solo mobs are now.
>

> <cdayag@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Man I feel like I am really in the minority on the CU. I am enjoying
>> myself quite a bit.
>> If you solo carefully and only agro 1 at a time you should be fine. I
>> am combat level 69 taking on combat level 69 mobs and getting about 5k
>> xp per kill. The mission payouts have increased to boot.
>>
>> Master Commando
>> Carbineer/Combat Medic

May 4, 2005 6:57:10 AM

"Shirley Kincaid" <tinyperson@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Well, you can do what I did....bleed....alot...then die...alot...
>
> Seriously, the days of the solo or casual player are pretty much done for
> this game too I think. It follows much the way EQ went, with a whimper,
> not a bang.

Soloing is still possible. You just have to be smart about it.

If you're level 80, then yeah, you're gonna have a few problems unless
you're a doctor or a combat medic. Grouping is so much easier and guess
what...you don't lose experience no matter how much more damage other
groupies do.

Ok, I'm a TKM. I don't need armor because as a TKM, you're better armored
with just a shirt and britches than anyone with armor on. Bad thing is,
those ranged players will be running and kiting the best they can, trying
NOT to get hit. As a TKM, you're going to get pounded on.

Center of Being is your friend. Abuse it. Going from taking 160 damage a
hit to 80 will make this skill very useful. Get to know how long it lasts
and know when to charge it back up to pick up where the last one left off.
You will have downtime after a fight unless you get buffed with food or
injected by a doc to speed up your healing rate. Pick up Novice Medic and
heal yourself with Bacta Shot until you regain full health.

Finally, knowing how to single pull is crucial, especially when fighting non
aggressive targets that have a tendency to bring friends. Practice using
taunt on targets much weaker than you that you know will bring help if they
are nearby. You'll eventually get the distance you have to be away from the
target before using Taunt down pat after a few times. If the target is
aggressive, simply inch your way closer to it until you see the ? float over
them. When it changes to an !, run away and get a bit of distance between
yourself and the others in the pack. Activate Center of Being and go to
work.

I'm not having any trouble fighting solo. Working in a group of even 2
makes it much easier. But solo is viable if you have the patience. I was a
big powergrinder, eventually becoming a Jedi. Maxing out Unarmed and 2
handed swords in less than 4 hours was nothing for me. Do I expect to be
able to do that again? Hell no. But getting 200k xp a night just playing
at a casual pace like this, it actually feels rewarding (actually earned
400k but that's with the double xp). Teaching newer players the basics of
combat is fun.

The game is starting to become fun again.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 12:48:03 PM

> Would love to know where the good solo mobs are now.

Mission Terminals. You'll get mobs close to your character level
there. A character with a pet should be able to pull them out
one by one. This works for my swordsman/CH.

Christian Seitz
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 9:50:11 PM

Your template is very similar to one of mine. Specifically what mobs do you
solo? So far it looks like I can do huurtons and maybe voritors. This is
with just an inspiration buff, the innate TK buff, and the new TK weapon
(sorry, having a memory problem lately). Haven't figured out what other
buffs I need yet. Unfortunately this is about a fifth the xp that I used to
be able to get before. Doesn't look like I will ever unlock at this rate.
Went to Dath and every thing there came in large packs, looked hopeless for
solo players.

"Charlie" <charlesbevels@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:o d%de.29$Go.27@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

> Soloing is still possible. You just have to be smart about it.
>
> If you're level 80, then yeah, you're gonna have a few problems unless
> you're a doctor or a combat medic. Grouping is so much easier and guess
> what...you don't lose experience no matter how much more damage other
> groupies do.
>
> Ok, I'm a TKM. I don't need armor because as a TKM, you're better armored
> with just a shirt and britches than anyone with armor on. Bad thing is,
> those ranged players will be running and kiting the best they can, trying
> NOT to get hit. As a TKM, you're going to get pounded on.
>
> Center of Being is your friend. Abuse it. Going from taking 160 damage a
> hit to 80 will make this skill very useful. Get to know how long it lasts
> and know when to charge it back up to pick up where the last one left off.
> You will have downtime after a fight unless you get buffed with food or
> injected by a doc to speed up your healing rate. Pick up Novice Medic and
> heal yourself with Bacta Shot until you regain full health.
>
> Finally, knowing how to single pull is crucial, especially when fighting
> non aggressive targets that have a tendency to bring friends. Practice
> using taunt on targets much weaker than you that you know will bring help
> if they are nearby. You'll eventually get the distance you have to be
> away from the target before using Taunt down pat after a few times. If
> the target is aggressive, simply inch your way closer to it until you see
> the ? float over them. When it changes to an !, run away and get a bit of
> distance between yourself and the others in the pack. Activate Center of
> Being and go to work.
>
> I'm not having any trouble fighting solo. Working in a group of even 2
> makes it much easier. But solo is viable if you have the patience. I was
> a big powergrinder, eventually becoming a Jedi. Maxing out Unarmed and 2
> handed swords in less than 4 hours was nothing for me. Do I expect to be
> able to do that again? Hell no. But getting 200k xp a night just playing
> at a casual pace like this, it actually feels rewarding (actually earned
> 400k but that's with the double xp). Teaching newer players the basics of
> combat is fun.
>
> The game is starting to become fun again.

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:03:44 PM

Single pulling highly aggressive pack critters just takes a little work,
remember you can now use CL restricted RANGED weapons to tag one of the
pack. If two or more come after you, run away and eventually only the tagged
one will keep on persuing. Then it's clobbering time, but throw away your
weapons, most are badly bugged and stick to a decent 1-handed bladed weapon
or go unarmed. I have a CM/TKM and have so far managed to go without a
single incapp fighting group mobs within 2 levels below or equal to my CL80.
Use your state attacks ( what few you have now ) and keep your state cures
running ( blindness, stun etc ). I've found that solo xp is there to be had
if you take your time with targets and accept there will be some downtime
between fights, but even with the double xp award atm, still making about
the same as before the CU.

I'm not agreeing with the CU in any way, but guess because I wasn't a spam
spin attacker and chose my attacks, the change has affected me less than
some. Nice to see beta close just before the release of RotW, lots of chance
there to correct the miriad of bugs affecting all players, crafter and
combat alike - not !
May 6, 2005 2:43:57 AM

> Your template is very similar to one of mine. Specifically what mobs do
> you solo? So far it looks like I can do huurtons and maybe voritors.
> This is with just an inspiration buff, the innate TK buff, and the new TK
> weapon (sorry, having a memory problem lately). Haven't figured out what
> other buffs I need yet. Unfortunately this is about a fifth the xp that I
> used to be able to get before. Doesn't look like I will ever unlock at
> this rate. Went to Dath and every thing there came in large packs, looked
> hopeless for solo players.

Sad to say this, but SWG and EQ2 are so very similar now. Planets like
Dathomir were intended for group play just like areas in EQ2 like the
Blackburrow and Stormhold.
And it doesn't matter which mob you fight now, it's all the same with just a
different skin applied. A L80 Giant Canyon Krayt will be just as difficult
to drop as a L80 Huurton pup.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:53:15 PM

> "Haqsau" <haqsauNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Your template is very similar to one of mine. Specifically what mobs do
>> you solo? So far it looks like I can do huurtons and maybe voritors.
>> This is with just an inspiration buff, the innate TK buff, and the new TK
>> weapon (sorry, having a memory problem lately). Haven't figured out what
>> other buffs I need yet. Unfortunately this is about a fifth the xp that
>> I used to be able to get before. Doesn't look like I will ever unlock at
>> this rate. Went to Dath and every thing there came in large packs, looked
>> hopeless for solo players.
>
> Sad to say this, but SWG and EQ2 are so very similar now. Planets like
> Dathomir were intended for group play just like areas in EQ2 like the
> Blackburrow and Stormhold.
> And it doesn't matter which mob you fight now, it's all the same with just
> a different skin applied. A L80 Giant Canyon Krayt will be just as
> difficult to drop as a L80 Huurton pup.

So far, i have usually found that lvl70-78 critters are soloable and give
decent XP - above level78 I start to have trouble without a few regen buffs.
If there is a group or I know they BAF, I call a pet and use them to pull
one at a time. (my template is TKM/MCH). Hope this helps
June 9, 2005 2:13:12 AM

"The other Mike" <mtl?ink@earthl?ink.net> wrote in message

> "Charlie" <charlesbevels@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Haqsau" <haqsauNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Your template is very similar to one of mine. Specifically what mobs
do
> >> you solo? So far it looks like I can do huurtons and maybe voritors.
> >> This is with just an inspiration buff, the innate TK buff, and the new
TK
> >> weapon (sorry, having a memory problem lately). Haven't figured out
what
> >> other buffs I need yet. Unfortunately this is about a fifth the xp
that
> >> I used to be able to get before. Doesn't look like I will ever unlock
at
> >> this rate. Went to Dath and every thing there came in large packs,
looked
> >> hopeless for solo players.
> >
> > Sad to say this, but SWG and EQ2 are so very similar now. Planets like
> > Dathomir were intended for group play just like areas in EQ2 like the
> > Blackburrow and Stormhold.
> > And it doesn't matter which mob you fight now, it's all the same with
just
> > a different skin applied. A L80 Giant Canyon Krayt will be just as
> > difficult to drop as a L80 Huurton pup.
>
> So far, i have usually found that lvl70-78 critters are soloable and give
> decent XP - above level78 I start to have trouble without a few regen
buffs.
> If there is a group or I know they BAF, I call a pet and use them to pull
> one at a time. (my template is TKM/MCH). Hope this helps

Dunno if this will help or not but my template is Doc + TKA (at the moment
my CL is 63 because im not master TKA yet still working on that). In anycase
due to being able to heal myself I can easily handle about 3 mobs at one
time with this template (Making sure to use center of being of course as
that greatly decreases the damage you take from each hit)
!