two sets of fonts- Windows FONTS folder and Broderbund ___..

My new Toshiba laptop, am cleaning the what, the junk outta it. Somehow my
old GTWY desktop had like 500 fonts and was slowing the machine, finally
removed 125 or so and its OK.
BUT
The Toshiba has TWO separate directorys chock full of fonts, most of them
duplicates! Each has its own directory with a slightly diff name.
SO
I read elsewhere in the MS area today that all the necessary fonts for
Windows number only about 15. However have read it implied elsewhere that
other programs if they call for a font that is NOT in that 15 they will not
respond or locckup???
HALP.
Am sure I dont need all dose fonts....

Larry
6 answers Last reply
More about sets fonts windows fonts folder broderbund ___

    > > HALP.
    > > Am sure I dont need all dose fonts.... Larry
    >
    > XP is not like the earlier MS operating systems in that having a fair
    > amount of fonts will not slow the machine up. It sounds like your
    > Broderbund program installed fonts, and I wonder if the ones in the
    > Broderbund folder are shortcuts to the system Fonts folder. In any
    > case, I wouldn't worry about this. If your Broderbund program and your
    > operating system are working well, I'd leave this alone.

    Both systems use XPSP2. I M cleaning the gorp outta the 3 mos old Tosh just
    to get rid of ikons and redundancy, bloatware its called? Hence the
    question, still need answer. Those in the Broderbund folder all have their
    own name,no apaparent shortcuts, original question still stands. WHAT
    broderbund program???
    Think the point is, how XP processes fonts.........to then allow the
    (somewhat) intelligent owner to get rid of em if they were simply an
    autoinstall by other software mfg.

    L.

    LarryINmich wrote:

    >> > HALP.
    >> > Am sure I dont need all dose fonts.... Larry
    >>
    >> XP is not like the earlier MS operating systems in that having a fair
    >> amount of fonts will not slow the machine up. It sounds like your
    >> Broderbund program installed fonts, and I wonder if the ones in the
    >> Broderbund folder are shortcuts to the system Fonts folder. In any
    >> case, I wouldn't worry about this. If your Broderbund program and
    >> your operating system are working well, I'd leave this alone.
    >>
    > Both systems use XPSP2. I M cleaning the gorp outta the 3 mos old
    > Tosh just
    > to get rid of ikons and redundancy, bloatware its called? Hence the
    > question, still need answer. Those in the Broderbund folder all have
    > their
    > own name,no apaparent shortcuts, original question still stands.
    > WHAT broderbund program???
    > Think the point is, how XP processes fonts.........to then allow the
    > (somewhat) intelligent owner to get rid of em if they were simply an
    > autoinstall by other software mfg.
    >
    > L.

    Re-reading your original post, I see you didn't mention Broderbund so I
    don't know where I got the idea that you had installed something like
    Printshop Deluxe. If you didn't do this, then ignore that. Here are
    links to what the default fonts used by Windows and MS programs:

    Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm

    How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768

    TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084

    That will help you determine which fonts to delete if you so wish.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" wrote
    > Re-reading your original post, I see you didn't mention Broderbund so I
    > don't know where I got the idea that you had installed something like
    > Printshop Deluxe. If you didn't do this, then ignore that. Here are
    > links to what the default fonts used by Windows and MS programs:
    > Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm
    THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE? THE DATE IS SEVERAL YRS OLD.NOV 91..>
    > How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768
    > NOTHING HERE ABOUT WIN XP. ALL IS PRE XP INFO
    > TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084
    THIS LINK DOES NOT WORK WHEN COPIED INTO BROWSER IT SIMPLY TAKES ME TO THE
    KINGDOM OF MICROSOFT....>
    > That will help you determine which fonts to delete if you so wish.
    SORRY SIR, NOT IN MY WORLD OR FOR THIS SIUTATION. YOU HAVTA GO BETTER THAN
    THIS. ALL I HAVE GOTTEN FROM THE GURU OF MS IS A BUNCH OF CHASING AROUND FOR
    NADA.
    IF YOU CANT PROVIDE THE INFO I THINK MS NEEDS TO GET SOMEONE THAT CAN, read
    this is WIN XPHome, SP1 then SP2 for my Gateway and WINXP Pro, SP2 for the
    Toshiba>

    Larry, looking for answers......................

    > Malke

    > Sorry you didn't like the advice. Sorry you felt it was necessary to
    > yell. This is not Microsoft and I don't work for Microsoft. This
    > newsgroup is not Microsoft; it is a public newsgroup hosted on
    > Microsoft servers. While Microsoft employees occasionally post here,
    > the majority of regular helpers are all volunteers who do not work for
    > Microsoft. If you want Microsoft to help you, then call their tech
    > support number. This will not be free.
    >
    > I do not "havta go better than this". I'm not the one who messed up my
    > Windows installation, you are. I do think you need to get someone who
    > can help you, since I have no intention of ever trying to do so again.

    > Malke

    > www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Key words in your post "trying to do so" And you still cant read, since I
    didnt mess up my Windows Installation, it was there. Computer fixing and
    repair??? Whew.....
    Guess I got what I paid for. NADA.

    In the subject is broderbrund.

    "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message news:%23yIbsaGuFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

    >>> XP is not like the earlier MS operating systems in that having a fair
    >>> amount of fonts will not slow the machine up. It sounds like your
    >>> Broderbund program installed fonts, and I wonder if the ones in the
    >>> Broderbund folder are shortcuts to the system Fonts folder. In any
    >>> case, I wouldn't worry about this. If your Broderbund program and
    >>> your operating system are working well, I'd leave this alone.
    >>>
    >> Both systems use XPSP2. I M cleaning the gorp outta the 3 mos old
    >> Tosh just
    >> to get rid of ikons and redundancy, bloatware its called? Hence the
    >> question, still need answer. Those in the Broderbund folder all have
    >> their
    >> own name,no apaparent shortcuts, original question still stands.
    >> WHAT broderbund program???
    >> Think the point is, how XP processes fonts.........to then allow the
    >> (somewhat) intelligent owner to get rid of em if they were simply an
    >> autoinstall by other software mfg.
    >>
    >> L.
    >
    > Re-reading your original post, I see you didn't mention Broderbund so I
    > don't know where I got the idea that you had installed something like
    > Printshop Deluxe. If you didn't do this, then ignore that. Here are
    > links to what the default fonts used by Windows and MS programs:
    >
    > Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
    > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm
    >
    > How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768
    >
    > TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084
    >
    > That will help you determine which fonts to delete if you so wish.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Total lack of keywords in your post.

    "LarryINmich" <LarryINmich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E52C0E5-467F-448D-B6C9-8D7C8F3235B3@microsoft.com...

    >> Sorry you didn't like the advice. Sorry you felt it was necessary to
    >> yell. This is not Microsoft and I don't work for Microsoft. This
    >> newsgroup is not Microsoft; it is a public newsgroup hosted on
    >> Microsoft servers. While Microsoft employees occasionally post here,
    >> the majority of regular helpers are all volunteers who do not work for
    >> Microsoft. If you want Microsoft to help you, then call their tech
    >> support number. This will not be free.
    >>
    >> I do not "havta go better than this". I'm not the one who messed up my
    >> Windows installation, you are. I do think you need to get someone who
    >> can help you, since I have no intention of ever trying to do so again.
    >
    >> Malke
    >
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >
    > Key words in your post "trying to do so" And you still cant read, since I
    > didnt mess up my Windows Installation, it was there. Computer fixing and
    > repair??? Whew.....
    > Guess I got what I paid for. NADA.

Toshiba Windows XP