Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

two sets of fonts- Windows FONTS folder and Broderbund ___..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 3:36:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

My new Toshiba laptop, am cleaning the what, the junk outta it. Somehow my
old GTWY desktop had like 500 fonts and was slowing the machine, finally
removed 125 or so and its OK.
BUT
The Toshiba has TWO separate directorys chock full of fonts, most of them
duplicates! Each has its own directory with a slightly diff name.
SO
I read elsewhere in the MS area today that all the necessary fonts for
Windows number only about 15. However have read it implied elsewhere that
other programs if they call for a font that is NOT in that 15 they will not
respond or locckup???
HALP.
Am sure I dont need all dose fonts....

Larry
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 10:18:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> > HALP.
> > Am sure I dont need all dose fonts.... Larry
>
> XP is not like the earlier MS operating systems in that having a fair
> amount of fonts will not slow the machine up. It sounds like your
> Broderbund program installed fonts, and I wonder if the ones in the
> Broderbund folder are shortcuts to the system Fonts folder. In any
> case, I wouldn't worry about this. If your Broderbund program and your
> operating system are working well, I'd leave this alone.
>
Both systems use XPSP2. I M cleaning the gorp outta the 3 mos old Tosh just
to get rid of ikons and redundancy, bloatware its called? Hence the
question, still need answer. Those in the Broderbund folder all have their
own name,no apaparent shortcuts, original question still stands. WHAT
broderbund program???
Think the point is, how XP processes fonts.........to then allow the
(somewhat) intelligent owner to get rid of em if they were simply an
autoinstall by other software mfg.

L.
September 13, 2005 10:25:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

LarryINmich wrote:

>
>> > HALP.
>> > Am sure I dont need all dose fonts.... Larry
>>
>> XP is not like the earlier MS operating systems in that having a fair
>> amount of fonts will not slow the machine up. It sounds like your
>> Broderbund program installed fonts, and I wonder if the ones in the
>> Broderbund folder are shortcuts to the system Fonts folder. In any
>> case, I wouldn't worry about this. If your Broderbund program and
>> your operating system are working well, I'd leave this alone.
>>
> Both systems use XPSP2. I M cleaning the gorp outta the 3 mos old
> Tosh just
> to get rid of ikons and redundancy, bloatware its called? Hence the
> question, still need answer. Those in the Broderbund folder all have
> their
> own name,no apaparent shortcuts, original question still stands.
> WHAT broderbund program???
> Think the point is, how XP processes fonts.........to then allow the
> (somewhat) intelligent owner to get rid of em if they were simply an
> autoinstall by other software mfg.
>
> L.

Re-reading your original post, I see you didn't mention Broderbund so I
don't know where I got the idea that you had installed something like
Printshop Deluxe. If you didn't do this, then ignore that. Here are
links to what the default fonts used by Windows and MS programs:

Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm

How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768

TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084

That will help you determine which fonts to delete if you so wish.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Related resources
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Malke" wrote
> Re-reading your original post, I see you didn't mention Broderbund so I
> don't know where I got the idea that you had installed something like
> Printshop Deluxe. If you didn't do this, then ignore that. Here are
> links to what the default fonts used by Windows and MS programs:
> Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm
THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE? THE DATE IS SEVERAL YRS OLD.NOV 91..>
> How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768
> NOTHING HERE ABOUT WIN XP. ALL IS PRE XP INFO
> TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084
THIS LINK DOES NOT WORK WHEN COPIED INTO BROWSER IT SIMPLY TAKES ME TO THE
KINGDOM OF MICROSOFT....>
> That will help you determine which fonts to delete if you so wish.
SORRY SIR, NOT IN MY WORLD OR FOR THIS SIUTATION. YOU HAVTA GO BETTER THAN
THIS. ALL I HAVE GOTTEN FROM THE GURU OF MS IS A BUNCH OF CHASING AROUND FOR
NADA.
IF YOU CANT PROVIDE THE INFO I THINK MS NEEDS TO GET SOMEONE THAT CAN, read
this is WIN XPHome, SP1 then SP2 for my Gateway and WINXP Pro, SP2 for the
Toshiba>

Larry, looking for answers......................

> Malke
> --
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 5:05:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> Sorry you didn't like the advice. Sorry you felt it was necessary to
> yell. This is not Microsoft and I don't work for Microsoft. This
> newsgroup is not Microsoft; it is a public newsgroup hosted on
> Microsoft servers. While Microsoft employees occasionally post here,
> the majority of regular helpers are all volunteers who do not work for
> Microsoft. If you want Microsoft to help you, then call their tech
> support number. This will not be free.
>
> I do not "havta go better than this". I'm not the one who messed up my
> Windows installation, you are. I do think you need to get someone who
> can help you, since I have no intention of ever trying to do so again.

> Malke

> www.elephantboycomputers.com

Key words in your post "trying to do so" And you still cant read, since I
didnt mess up my Windows Installation, it was there. Computer fixing and
repair??? Whew.....
Guess I got what I paid for. NADA.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In the subject is broderbrund.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message news:%23yIbsaGuFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> LarryINmich wrote:
>
>>
>>> > HALP.
>>> > Am sure I dont need all dose fonts.... Larry
>>>
>>> XP is not like the earlier MS operating systems in that having a fair
>>> amount of fonts will not slow the machine up. It sounds like your
>>> Broderbund program installed fonts, and I wonder if the ones in the
>>> Broderbund folder are shortcuts to the system Fonts folder. In any
>>> case, I wouldn't worry about this. If your Broderbund program and
>>> your operating system are working well, I'd leave this alone.
>>>
>> Both systems use XPSP2. I M cleaning the gorp outta the 3 mos old
>> Tosh just
>> to get rid of ikons and redundancy, bloatware its called? Hence the
>> question, still need answer. Those in the Broderbund folder all have
>> their
>> own name,no apaparent shortcuts, original question still stands.
>> WHAT broderbund program???
>> Think the point is, how XP processes fonts.........to then allow the
>> (somewhat) intelligent owner to get rid of em if they were simply an
>> autoinstall by other software mfg.
>>
>> L.
>
> Re-reading your original post, I see you didn't mention Broderbund so I
> don't know where I got the idea that you had installed something like
> Printshop Deluxe. If you didn't do this, then ignore that. Here are
> links to what the default fonts used by Windows and MS programs:
>
> Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/winxp.htm
>
> How to Determine the Default Windows Fonts
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q254768
>
> TrueType Fonts Shipped with Microsoft Applications
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q123084
>
> That will help you determine which fonts to delete if you so wish.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:37:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Total lack of keywords in your post.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"LarryINmich" <LarryINmich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E52C0E5-467F-448D-B6C9-8D7C8F3235B3@microsoft.com...
>
>> Sorry you didn't like the advice. Sorry you felt it was necessary to
>> yell. This is not Microsoft and I don't work for Microsoft. This
>> newsgroup is not Microsoft; it is a public newsgroup hosted on
>> Microsoft servers. While Microsoft employees occasionally post here,
>> the majority of regular helpers are all volunteers who do not work for
>> Microsoft. If you want Microsoft to help you, then call their tech
>> support number. This will not be free.
>>
>> I do not "havta go better than this". I'm not the one who messed up my
>> Windows installation, you are. I do think you need to get someone who
>> can help you, since I have no intention of ever trying to do so again.
>
>> Malke
>
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>
> Key words in your post "trying to do so" And you still cant read, since I
> didnt mess up my Windows Installation, it was there. Computer fixing and
> repair??? Whew.....
> Guess I got what I paid for. NADA.
!