Sign in with
Your question

Best performance and price computer.

Last response: in Systems
October 9, 2008 6:28:29 AM

Hi,

I'd like to build a new system for myself. My current computer now is a 5 year old laptop, and I really haven't played with on a good computer before. Although my computer is weak, I've learnt alot of things in the past few years.

Right now I'm a programmer and computer savvy. I won't say I'm expert, but I would say I'm intermediate. I know almost everything on CPUs, motherboards, RAMs, whatever you throw at me on hardware and software.

Right now, I'll get straight to the point.

I want to build a high-end rig, and I have a budget of $4000 SGD (equals to $2726.65 USD). I want the best of the performance out of my computer (stable of course), and I plan to overclock the hell out of my CPU and VGA card.

Here's my build -

ASUS Rampage Formula X48
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
HIS Radeon HD4870X2 2GB GDDR5
OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066MHz RAM
2 Seagate's Barracuda 500GB 7,200RPM 32MB (RAID 0 configuration)
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU Cooler
Cooler Master RS-850-ESBA Real Power M850 PSU
and Cooler Master Cosmo S case.

Here is my thoughts on this build.

- ASUS Rampage Formula runs both PCI-e slot @ 16/16
- A Core 2 Quad to futureproof (same FSB & 2x cache of E8400)
- 4870X2 (top-of-the-line single graphic card)
- 1066MHz are sexy (don't ask me why, I want them)
- Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU cooler (Tom's Hardware best yeah?)
- Cooler Master Cosmo S is sexy.
- Modular Power Supply should be enough.

But I was thinking, should I change the Q9550 to a Q6600? If I overclocked the Q6600 to 3.6GHz, it should be able to beat the Q9550 (I'm not too sure.) I need all four cores, as I'm a multitasker. Why I chose the Rampage Formula is if new games come out, I'll just add in another 4870X2. I need you guys comment and suggestions for my build. I really want to save as much money as possible and get the best out of the rig. I have other accessories, so I hope anyone nice enough would suggest some ideas so I can decide.

Some stuffs you'd like to know -

I would like to play Crysis/Warhead on 1680x1050 Very High 2XAA.
I'd like to play GTA IV when it comes for PC.
I'd like this computer to be able to last till 2010.
I do some encoding, Photoshop, and servers.

Thank you.

October 10, 2008 4:44:50 PM

well about the only thing i can tell you is to stick with the Q9550. its 45nm and it should overclock just as good if not better than the q6600. how many gbs of ram are you getting, and what OS are you going to use?
!