Help Selecting a NAS

ahmadali

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hi Guys

I'm new to the forum and am hoping that I can get some help selecting a network attached storage device. I've trawled through several review sites, and I can't seem to find the right fit.

Here's what I want the NAS for:

Sharing Music
Sharing Video
Sharing general files.

Looking through all the various device descriptions this seems pretty simple, here’s the requirement I'm struggling with:

I need to be able to map the NAS as a network drive in windows (XP, Vista and 7) as well as assign the NAS a static IP within a non-standard range (my network is setup is somewhat unique).

All the Netgear and Buffalo drives I've seen seem to require use of propriety software, which I'm keen to avoid. Essentially all i want and need is a network file server (on a smallish budget)

Having an inbuilt torrent client would be advantageous but its something I could live without.

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks in advance!

Ahmad

discopig

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I have bought a DNS-323 a couple of months ago and it is perfect. Really simple if you just want to plug and play and share files. As cheap/expensive as you want because you supply the drives - the WD Green drives work very well in them.

If you want to get fancy, you can use the custom firmware available for it (just google DNS-323 and you will see the extensive modding community).

Has iTunes, uTorrent, media server capabilities as well, can't speak to them, I just use it for file sharing and back up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dns-323&x=0&y=0

ahmadali

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Perhaps I'm being a little daft (more than likely, I seem to have a real skill at it), but what is the configuration procedule for these NAS devices? IS it something along the lines of:

Plug in Device Device
Connect to router via ethernet cable
Fire up a PC / Laptop
Navigate to configuration IP (I imagine something like 192.168.2.100)
Configure the IP to the range requested and set as static (192.168.1.35)

Access the drive via 'run' in windows by typeing '\\192.168.1.35\'

Thanks, Ahmad