Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thermal Paste question

Last response: in Overclocking
January 26, 2010 12:39:42 AM

So I have a Cooler Master V8 heatsink for my i7, and I'm trying to find the definitive take on how to apply the thermal paste for optimum cooling...I have heard a single dot in the middle of the heatsink, and I've heard putting a light coating all the way over the CPU.

Thoughts?

More about : thermal paste question

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
January 26, 2010 1:15:04 AM

A blob bigger than a grain of rice, smaller than a small pea. Unless it's a exposed pipe heatsink, and that one isn't if memory serves me right.

I reccommend installing without paste first, taking it off, then applying the paste for practice, remove carefully to ensure you got good coverage and got it right, clean it off, then do it again. Better to do it twice to make sure than having to take it all apart cuz your temps suck.

Clasic measure twice, cut once concept. Once you got a good idea, then once is enuff.

I been at this a lonnng time, I had installed my waterblock on my i7 back in March. lways wondered why my temps weren't as good as they shoulda been. When I did my rebuild a few weeks ago and removed the HS, well I could see why. Even tho I been at this about 20 years, I still did it poorly.
January 26, 2010 1:25:44 AM

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Very specific!

It isn't an exposed pipe heatsink. The trial and error is a good option also to make sure it covers fully!

Props to you sir!
m
l
January 26, 2010 1:25:49 AM

Best answer selected by mtnboydl.
m
l
!