Sign in with
Your question

GA-M55S-S3 memory problems

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2009 8:51:04 PM

Got a GA-M55S-S3 rev 1.0 motherboard with 2x1gb modules of A-Data Vitesta DDR2 800MHz memory in it. A few days ago I bought some extra ram, 2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz modules. The timings on the modules are the same (5-5-5-18) and I think the voltage differs with ~0.1V. When I first bought my parts, years ago, I remember that it wouldnt start up if I installed my (1 at that time) A-Data module in the first slot. Installed it in the 3 slot and it worked so I didnt worried about that anymore, and bought the second and installed it in slot 4.
My problem now is that I installed the Corsair modules in the 2 first slots, and now it wont boot. Just gives me continuous beeps. I have tried using only the Corsair (dual and singel) and it will only work in slot 3&4, and the same with A-Data. According to the manual Gigabyte recommends 2 dual channel modules to be installed in slot 1&2...
Is my board defect and has been that all the time or is it some compatibility error?
I got the latest bios (F13).

More about : m55s memory problems

a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 6, 2009 10:10:24 PM

The only things I hear about Corsair on GB MOBOs is the griping, and I've never even heard of A-Data... Add to that the fact that, even with reputable parts, it's always a bad idea (and often a completely unworkable one) to 'mix & match' different manufacturer's RAM on a board, and you have brewed yourself up a real mess; also, I don't know if it's the same with nVidias as with Intels, but getting a 4x1 config working is often quite a bit more difficult than a 4x2 - god only knows why... Save yourself the grief, and buy a decent pair of 2x2s from mushkin or G.Skill, and be done with it!
February 7, 2009 7:26:17 AM

bilbat said:
The only things I hear about Corsair on GB MOBOs is the griping, and I've never even heard of A-Data... Add to that the fact that, even with reputable parts, it's always a bad idea (and often a completely unworkable one) to 'mix & match' different manufacturer's RAM on a board, and you have brewed yourself up a real mess; also, I don't know if it's the same with nVidias as with Intels, but getting a 4x1 config working is often quite a bit more difficult than a 4x2 - god only knows why... Save yourself the grief, and buy a decent pair of 2x2s from mushkin or G.Skill, and be done with it!

Thanks for your reply. A-Data is quite common in Sweden, havent seen G.skill in any store. Yeah, I know I shouldnt mix but since I got a great deal on the Corsair I just couldnt resist.
But would buying new ram solve my problem? Since all my modules works in the 3rd and 4th DIMM slot but not in the 1st and 2nd and both Corsair and A-Data is in the QVL from GB. Sure, buying 2x2 Mushkin gives me my 4gb, but leavs me 2 empty slots to fill (eventually) :) .
Have found my MB for a quite low sale price in a store (would cost me ~3x less to buy than new 2x2 Mushkin), if I buy it should I expect the same problem or is just my board defect (Since it "should" work in slot 1&2 according the the manual..)?
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 7, 2009 5:08:29 PM

Best thing to do is strip your system down to: CPU, GPU, DVD, and one stick at a time of RAM in slot 1; download .iso of MemTest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ , burn a bootable cd, and boot and run it at least overnight, on each stick of RAM; if it works in one slot, you can certainly move it to another slot & test again, but then you will know whether your core components are functioning...
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2010 8:39:01 AM

save urself the trouble... you got 3 options...

buy a new mobo

or buy new ram

sell the cosair and be happy with what u got.. :) 
!