Time for a new system... would love some advice...

westernohiopc

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I am currently running a AMD FX57 on a gigabyte gak8n sli pro board, 4 gig corsair xms ddr 400, dual BFG 8800 gtx 512mb video cards, WD 36 gig raptor hdds in raid stripe, and 2 WD 500 gig sata hdds, pc power and cooling 650w power supply, lian li case.

I built this rig a while ago, I am selling this pc to my cuz and going to build a new one. At the time I built this it was the "TOP OF THE LINE PC". I know there are quad core and so on now and my pc doesnt touch the bench marks out there now. So what I want to know is what do I want to build?

I game a lil, build websites, auto cad, and overclock, benchmark, music and photo and video editing. I want to record TV possibly use it as a DVR PVR also.

I like amd, and really dont know jack about intel. I would like to have a super super fast amd processor that is able to handle anything I want to do. I plan on running dual boot, ubuntu and xp. I also want enough power to really overclock, stable. Good HD vido is a MUST and I would like to either user crossfire or SLI.
I am not a fan of DFI boards from past experiances, I like ASUS and GIGABYTE.. I want a motherboard that has good overclocking options.

Any advice would be GREAT!

What is your budget?
1) I'd consider 4850's in crossfire or a 4870x2, depending on what you want to spend.
2) I'd also consider Phenom 9950 quad core Black Edition (unlocked multiplier!!!). Make sure you use a good CPU HSF! Xigmatek s1283 is a very good one.
3) Antec 900 case or Cooler Master 690. Both are very good cases for the $. Around $70-100 when on sale.
4) Consider 790FX mobo's with 750 Southbridge chipset. Should allow better OC'ing for your Phenom x4.
5) Corsair tx750w PSU at the minimum. Has 60A on the 12v rail, so should support X-fire and just about anything you throw at it.
6) I'd get at least 2x640gb AAKS WD 7200rpm HD's. They are nearly as fast as Raptors and much cheaper!
7) DDR2 800mHz would handle most of your speed needs. 1066mHz DDR2 if your wanting a little more room for OC'ing, which most AMD's these days don't OC as much as the Intel's do.

effel

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
The 8800GTX is still pretty good if you game 'a lil' but eh, if you can't hang on to one of the two you're selling that system to your cousin, meh.

It really helps to know what resolution you plan to be running the system on. I mean, 19-30" you made no real indication, which leaves a lot of room for what kind of graphics requirements you're going to be 'needing'.